You can watch Netflix's new show Kaleidoscope in any order

Originally published at: You can watch Netflix's new show Kaleidoscope in any order | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m curious to see how this works as a series…

Also, I’ll watch anything with Giancarlo Esposito…

Its Me Creative Arts Emmys GIF by Emmys

12 Likes

This sort of thing is the focus of a number of full motion video games by Sam Barlow - Her Story and Immortality being two good examples. If non-linear story telling is intriguing you might want to give them a look too

4 Likes

It’s a fascinating concept, and I’m really curious to see how it works. That said, seems more like a gimmick than a revolutionary concept. I can’t say I’ve ever before been watching a show and said to myself, “I really wish I could randomly choose a different order to watch this in and have it work.”

2 Likes

It’s been done before with books more than once. I could see how it’d be just as doable with a tight script and a good director on a screen.

5 Likes

Then you would never make it as a Fox Television executive!

Oh, wait, you said “and have it work”

Still wouldn’t make it

3 Likes

You can watch the episodes of anything on Netflix in any order you want.

9 Likes

Wait. So if I watch an episode of Kimmy Schmidt, then an episode of Umbrella Academy, then another Kimmy Schmidt…I was actually watching a Kimmy Schmidt/Umbrella Academy crossover arc?

Mind. Blown.

8 Likes

This used to be normal until tv shows started doing longer story arcs. There are certainly exceptions, but really most shows from the 50s, 60s, 70s, maybe with the exception of the pilot and if the show added a character and it really mattered. For example MASH, with so many character changes, you could watch in any order and except for the finale what would it matter. One commander or another, one doctor or another, there’s only minimal reference to a narrative outside of eternal repetitive meatball surgery. Star Trek, Leave it to Beaverand their ilk, they were all just entirely episodic (IIRC!)

Heck, even for The Prisoner no one can agree on the proper order, so does it really need one?

3 Likes

Memento was weird enough for me, thank you very much.
Not sure I need ten hours of it.

3 Likes

The clever new bit here is that Netflix is leveraging the technology. They are literally serving the episodes to each of us in a different order. Your #1 won’t be my #1.

I think this is super interesting. I love heist movies, and this is a great cast, so I’m a hard yes.

6 Likes

I hope that they catch his good side.

8 Likes

read post You this it order any doesn’t it’s can mean too, enjoyable. this in but

5 Likes

Really, the best death scene in all of TV history… Truly amazeballs.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m still bitter about that, too.

Nathan Fillion Facepalm GIF by HULU

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.