You should invest in a can of this artist's poop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/15/you-should-invest-in-a-can-of.html

1 Like

The only thing this proves is that rich people are idiots who don’t know anything about art.

So more power to artists who take advantage of them, to be honest.

4 Likes

Remember: not all cans of shit go up in value. Some do go down.

Also Manzoni’s cans are a headache for museum preservationists who have multiple reasons for keeping the damned things in pristine condition.

4 Likes

The next step is for someone to secretly open one of the cans and substitute the contents with something of equivalent weight. (Something symbolic, of course – shredded tax returns, maybe.) Then, both the original contents and the doctored tin** will become even more valuable artworks in their own right. Wealth creation!

** “Or is it really doctored? We’d have to open it to find out! It’s a mystery!

3 Likes
1 Like

Not likely that these people are being fleeced. More often than not art collecting is an easy way to launder money or move money around without raising suspicions. Which is a pretty common occurrence and is why you see stupid art pieces sell for preposterous amounts.

7 Likes

that can… that jar. nope.

2 Likes

3 Likes

It was easier to pass before it was in the can.

I’ll show myself out now.

8 Likes

So someone got there long before Apple.

The old half joke about how Steve Jobs could crap in a box and hardcore Apple fanboys would buy it looks even less jokey now. That’d be super collectible - but how do you deal with not being able to buy a new model every year?

3 Likes

Or see the Adam Ruins bit.

6 Likes

And then there’s this guy, who sculpts self portrait busts in his own blood. One of these very expensive pieces came to a “sticky” end;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2093053.stm

Art novices should beware of crafty counterfeits

8 Likes

OMG! How could you ever tell that from the original?

Apparently it’s not even shit. He admitted in a later interview that the whole shitting part became too laborious so most of the tins contain plaster. (can’t be bothered to find the source righ tnow.)

1 Like

Don’t buy it. After more than 50 years, it’s probably gone bad.

4 Likes

Just saying, Celebrity Fecal Transplants.

And to think, I just flush my wealth down the toilet

2 Likes

Someone really had to use “the can”…

4 Likes

I’m more interested in complex artist’s shit based derivatives.