Young people finally fleeing Facebook, say researchers

Or thumbing through one’s Rolodex, so to speak.

EDIT: But, yeah, did it not occur to them to ask “have you deactivated or deleted your account?” Or maybe the results just weren’t that interesting. /s

(These are the four questions)

1. Taken a break from checking Facebook for a period of several weeks or more
  2. Deleted the Facebook app from your phone
  3. Adjusted your Facebook privacy settings
  4. Downloaded all the personal data Facebook has collected about you
1 Like

It really has. This past year I’ve seen more and more flag waving, troop supporting, police apologizing, and god fearing than all my prior years on FB combined.

3 Likes

Sorry Mike, but it sounds like its time -

10 Likes

So as i always bring up… i’m happy to leave FB but what’s the alternative right now. I’m sure as hell not going to use Twitter or Whatsapp. IG and Snapchat are also social media i really don’t care for. That leaves me… … Tumblr? or uhh… Myspace?

8 Likes

deleted the app from my phone and iPad. Only visit FB to post political stories. Delete any email from FB without opening.

2 Likes

In my day Facebook was for finding out which girls in your dorm are single so you can… poke… them :wink:

2 Likes

Faceoff

6 Likes

I haven’t deleted the Facebook app because I never used it, and I haven’t changed my security settings because I only access Facebook in a browser that isn’t used for anything else running in a user account that isn’t used for anything else – and the only thing I do with it is check the photos of the grandkids.

Suck on it, Zuckerberg.

1 Like

i’m just one person, but in the years since 2008, when i first started friending former students, i have noticed a smaller percentage of my former students with facebook account since around 2011. 2010-11 seems to have been peak fb for my former students and it has declined each year since. last year, my last year teaching sixth grade, i had only 3 students out 70 who had fb accounts, whereas in 2010-11 i had 80 out of 100 who had such accounts. this year i’m teaching high school and the number has jumped back up a bit but in line with the numbers from 2012-13 which is when they would have been in 6th grade.

iow, this isn’t news to me.

4 Likes

The “Family Reunion analogy” for Facebook is becoming more and more apt:

I don’t actually want to be trapped in here with the multiple drunken racist uncles and my nephew’s endless album of baby images - but where else can I go at this hour? I’ve painted myself into a corner by bringing all my stuff and settling in here. We’re miles away from any alternative venue and if I leave before dinner I’ll just be alone and hungry in the dark. So I’ll grin and bear it for a few more hours, try to focus on the positives and hope there’s an opportunity to get drunk later.

6 Likes

Well, there’s your problem.
Getting drunk is the first thing you need to do.

(Edited because mispeling.)

7 Likes

The situation you described could be cancelled out by the number of older people who would have signed onto FB – but for the fact that they are as non-adept or as indifferent as you described.

:wink:

1 Like

Would that make Sauron = Zuckerberg?

Left in the wake of Snowden leaks.

Seething, racist seniors like Boing Boing?

Are you disappointed in BoingBoing, comrade?

1 Like

Clearly I’m one of the older minority then. Yes, I had concerns about losing touch with far flung relatives, but you know what? Before 2007 when I moved onto Facebook, I didn’t have much contact with them anyways. And it wasn’t a problem. We can go back to emails and holiday cards and phone calls, because all I saw them posting on Facebook lately were memes and political diatribes railing against libtards.

Needless to say, I haven’t missed it in the more than a month since I deleted my account. Twitter may take the same road next. Social networks have turned out to be a boon for racists and propagandists, not so much for friends and family.

2 Likes

You mean because they’re like one of the oldest blogs on the ‘net and actually existed before that as a ‘zine? Truly in the September of their years. An August publication.

I think that Facebook became too big of a deal in our day to day lives that it could die anytime soon. I would believe that it will survive for at least next 8 years. Unless of course something really big will happen and there will be already a functional replacement working worldwide.

The younger people I know rarely if ever use Facebook except for its Messenger and groups. That’s mostly true for people my age as well, honestly – its main function is as the replacement for LiveJournal and most posting goes on in private groups so that your mom and grandma aren’t barraged with posts from you and your friends organizing a D&D game. Until there’s a decent alternative for that sort of functionality it’ll still linger on.

2 Likes