Your favorite cover songs

I had a dream a couple night ago: I was in London [1], and in some restaurant I heard a cover version of “Locked in the Truck of a Car”, by The Tragically Hip [2].

I still had the song earwormed when I woke up. I looked up the title, and “covers”, and lo and behold, there it was. I have no recollection of ever hearing it before. Apparently, I’d heard it somewhere, and my brain decided I needed to hear it in a dream about London? Very odd.

[1] And my God, in that dream the city sure has gone downhill. In real life I haven’t been there since 2000.
[2] Yes, I grew up in Canada.

1 Like

Not a dream.

Love the track, tho’.

1 Like

WOW, so many good choices. My suggestions to this:
Both PJ Morton and Yebba are great in this cover of How Deep is Your Love (the rest of the album is also great)

BTW speaking of Yebba, I would sacrifice my left kidney for having a full version of this song.

And speaking of Jacob, his version of Moon River is crazy!

I saw some covers of Post Modern Jukebox on the list, but none did the Miche Braden amazing rendition of sweet child of mine (she also has a pre-PMJ work with Scott Bradley, a cover of “tainted love” that is amazing)

And finally (for now) Scary Pocket’s cover of Harder Better Faster Stronger. I only wish it’d be longer!

6 Likes
1 Like

How about Tina doing some covers.

Bob Seger

Wilson Pickett

Neil Diamond and Dan Hill

Tina goes Country

Temptations

The Trammps

9 Likes

Oh, damn.
RIP Tina.

2 Likes

Joni Mitchell

I put it in her thread too but I’m sure you’ll forgive my cross posting as she deserves to be celebrated everywhere.

5 Likes

A cover, and a Tina tribute: thanks Lizzo:

2 Likes

Jolan Covering Terence Trent Darby’s “Wishing Well”

2 Likes

Leave Those Kids Alone Cover Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy”

:guitar: :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Geez, they’re literal KIDS!

The kids really are alright.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s so sad to see kids this young all torn up with the blues,

1 Like

Doesn’t surprise me. We’ve given them a hellish world to grow up in, and try to live as young adults in.

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

U2’s "The Joshua Tree Covered

Where the Streets Have No Name

I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For

With or Without You

Bullet the Blue Sky

Running to Stand Still

Red Hill Mining Town

In God’s Country

Trip Through Your Wires

One Tree Hill

Exit

Mothers of the Disappeared

4 Likes

I only learned recently that this was a cover:

Original - The Arrows, apparently.

I have since learned that she’s done a ton of covers.
Still love 'er.
:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I don’t think that people doing covers is a bad thing… I mean, that used to be how the recording industry operated anyways. The division of labor was very different. The performer was not often the songwriter… that is very much a post-60s phenomenon.

6 Likes

Oh no, not to be misconstrued, I don’t still love her despite the cover songs. I love cover songs. I simply love everything she and the Runaways did back in the day. Heady days indeed.
(And yes, I still have the same crush on her as I did at fifteen!)

2 Likes

Joan Jett Get With The Times GIF

3 Likes