Your life will be better if you turn off push notifications (and all notifications)

I leave pretty much all the notifications turned on on my phone. Mind you, that’s probably at most twenty notifications in a day so I don’t really care. Plus just because I’ve received a message doesn’t mean I’m going to bother reading it there and then, I’ll usually wait until I get a chance to sit down with nothing else to do.

I used to have a work phone at my last job. I wasn’t paid to be on call so it got turned off as I left every day and back on in the morning when I started again. I ain’t working when I’m not getting paid for it.

Have you tried turning them on, and turning them off again?

6 Likes

You are a hero of the resistance and have improved my fraught BBS experience. Thank you!

Some websites code the notifications within the page itself so even if you disable notifications as a whole you might still see them on a particular site. If that happens just never go back to the site because that’s obnoxious. I’ve only had this happen once and i forget where i saw it.

1 Like

The unfortunate thing is that the devices that need them most have the worst options for filtering.

You probably get some for things that the platform has a built in knowledge of(call is from contact/not-contact, that sort of thing); but 3rd party emitters of events are mostly handled as unfilterable black boxes: assuming your vendor isn’t complicit you can probably turn them on and off; and possibly have one or two other seriousness levels for all input from a given source; but aside from that you are at the mercy of, most commonly, a company whose survival depends on ‘driving engagement’.

I’d be curious to know how much of the inferiority is due to the fact that writing filter rules with your thumbs wouldn’t be much fun for most; and how much is due to the nontrivial alignment of interests between the platform vendors and their app pals.

I like to have push notifications on for when people say words at me on whatever service. I used to like seeing likes too but they got overwhelming. I’ve got one post that gets like 1k notes a day and I do not need to know about it. Words are still nice though. I’ll turn those off too if twitter mentions, dms or tumblr messages get out of control.

I’ve got push notifications on for my email but I turned the sounds off for that one, so I just see them on my lock screen but they don’t go ding to attract my attention.

I also set a push notification with IFTTT to let me know when I get an email telling me a picarto streamer I follow has gone live. That seems like an appropriately time sensitive usage for noises. If I ever find another time sensitive thing like that I’ll probably do that again. Alerts aren’t bad if they, ya know, alert you of something. Something you would actually drop what you were doing to attend to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.