A plugin to force Twitter to respect your settings and stop showing you "top" tweets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/11/stop-maxing-my-engagement.html

4 Likes

I used to roll my eyes a bit when a product or service would make changes and the Internet would go crazy with people shouting THIS IS AN OUTRAGE, HOW DARE YOU CHANGE THINGS, I AM BOYCOTTING THIS PRODUCT FOREVER.

But then Twitter decided that:
a) feeds should not be chronological and
b) your “Notifications” should be full of useless filler (“Hey, someone you follow is following someone you don’t follow and THAT person liked a post from someone else that you also don’t follow and we thought you’d want to know”)

and now I totally understand the impulse to foam at the mouth over changes. Way to ruin what used to be a useful way to stay connected with interesting people, Twitter.

11 Likes

Now if only someone could create it for iOS.

3 Likes

It’s bizarre how this one has crept up in its sheer annoyance level. I’ve turned off notifications, told it in every possible way not to do that, but I still get pinged a half-dozen times a day to be told that Miley Cyrus liked a cat picture or something.

6 Likes

I don’t have a lot of friends on mastodon, but at least I don’t have to see posts from awful people.

5 Likes

The notification thing is an abomination.

4 Likes

And for Facebook too.

2 Likes

surprised how many people don’t know this exists:

https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/

1 Like

Or you can, like, not use Twitter at all.
Seriously. It’s perfectly possible to live without it (and Facebook for that matter)!
Anything remotely interesting is surely picked up somewhere else…, after being filtered by some moderators/bloggers.

4 Likes

Try adding Social Fixer-- it’s the only reason I can still use FB at all!

1 Like

“eyeball-fucking you with inflammatory headlines.”

Like Boing Boing for the past two-and-a-half years. rimshot

2 Likes

You can live without Facebook, but it’ll cost you if you’re the only one from your social circle not on Facebook. I refuse to create an account, for various reasons, and I’m still here, alive and kicking… but also I’ve drifted apart from most of my friends, who regularly communicate on Facebook, it’s like another world that I’m not part of. I regularly not get invitations to events because people simply don’t remember that I don’t get Facebook invitations. I’m usually the last one to learn about new relationships, divorces, babies, jobs, entertainment discussion, etc. This is especially bad in case of friends who live abroad.

2 Likes

I believe there is a real problem in scalability in the strictly chronological view, and I want to be able to subscribe to a lot of people. At some point you subscribe to so many people that keeping up with them all becomes a burden. Making this worse, there are people who post at a very high rate who end up spamming the feed.

So I wrote my own “algorithm” as a python script. It shows the latest tweet and latest retweet of everyone I’ve subscribed to. This lets me follow a lot of people, without having to wade through the twitter addicts (or unsubscribe from them).

1 Like

Kinda hard making that argument when the “anything remotely interesting” you’re gunning for is your own work and in order to be picked up in the way you suggest I gotta put myself in front of those moderators/blogger’s eyeballs and uh… sure are a lotta them on twitter

(there’s also plenty on other platforms but I am not a machine I can only post artwork to so many websites before the cure becomes worse than the disease)

Surprisingly, my friends’ posts, artwork, and life updates on Twitter aren’t often covered by the news media, so I’d rather read & respond to their thoughts as needed.

I loathe Facebook for many reasons, but as long as my extended family insists on using it as main communication tool and as long as friends use it as their main social/group gathering/notification mechanism, I feel tied to it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.