Youtube copyright trolls Adrev claim to own a homemade MIDI rendition of 1899's Flight of the Bumblebee

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/10/asymmetrical-warfare-2.html

2 Likes

tumblr_71e5c01b2d119e09a806c1bb188ceff8_7ce8efd1_540

10 Likes

YouTube will always give the benefit of the doubt to a corporate person over a human one. It’s “slow AI” solidarity, with actual machine learning thrown in to facilitate things.

15 Likes

AdRev is apparently run by CEO Noah Becker. Here’s a short bio, written in the style of Time Cube.

Seems like someone who should have meeting with an angry YouTube mob.

ooh more: https://medium.com/@Soyracha/epilogue-adrev-audiomicro-dfj-frontier-c46adb40d533#.oc9wjdmvf

8 Likes

Is it abusing the system when the system is already abusive?

5 Likes

I always knew the 2020s were going to be when shit just started to fall the fuck apart. Get too unpredictable. When we would start to really lurch toward cyberpunk dystopia. I read me enough Gibson and Stephenson and dabbled enough with modems and read enough zines like Mondo 2000 and boingboing in the first half of the 90s, to figure that out.

We’ve arrived.

:partying_face::tada::boom::boom::boom:

8 Likes

nT_3src7v5hu56p0acra7sixgse_300

17 Likes

Yep, it’s December, 2019. Donald Trump is the President of the United States but is directly under the power of the Russians. Oh, and the Navy basically admitted that UFOs are, uh, a thing.

You might want to resupply, and go back down there? But then you’ll miss theeeee shooooowwwww… :star_struck:

9 Likes

You get to my age, and it’s all re-runs to some extent or another.

15 Likes

Youtube channel talking about recent bogus copyright claim and how YouTube does zero to help creators.

Youtube is doing everything it can to destroy creators who’s work floats Youtube. It’s a friggin backwards business model. Once Coppa takes affect in a 2 weeks from now(?) instead of losing monetized money from fraudulent copyright claims, soon Youtube creators will/could be fined 47k dollars per video not properly labeled as child content.

7 Likes

It wouldn’t be so bad if it were just re-runs. It’s the progression of ever-darker and grittier reboots that’s getting to me.

6 Likes

I’d say that depends on how its abused. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I think it’s surprising that I haven’t heard of any enterprising lawyers making the case that YouTube is complicit in fraud, despite adhering to the DMCA because there are so many fraudulent cases, and YouTube’s system is so clearly weighted against content producers. I’m imagining a class action and massive payout when you can prove systematic complicity in fraud.

7 Likes

i got a claim (not a takedown, but a notice that i could not collect revenue on or place ads on) a video of my friends’ band playing a cover of a ramones song at a party. it actually recognized a live veraion not played by the original artist. its nuts.

in the case mentioned here i would absolutely contest it. its an automated system and is matching to a similar sounding performance that someone has claimed copyright over. its a false match of a public domain song and thats legit reason to contest it.

3 Likes

I still think we need a bunch of bots sending these types of notices against official studio content , and diverting the revenue to the EFF or something. Basically, fuck over the “big boys” and send the profits to their enemies. That’ll be the best and quickest way to get this shit sorted out.

2 Likes

When I was a kid of about five I fervently hoped that there would be a Christmas episode with a decorated tree on the bridge and everything.

4 Likes

The big stuff by the big companies is exempt from takedowns, claims, or rerouting of ad revenue. You can try claiming a Tay Tay song all day long. Nothing.

I’m sure there’s a great PR person reason behind it.

6 Likes

Actually that’s not nuts that’s what’s known as mechanical license. You were broadcasting a cover performance of copyrighted material. Unless you obtained a mechanical license to do that you are not allowed to do that. It’s not an issue of fair use and it doesn’t matter if the band has paid to cover the song or is exempt from it.

Rights compliance is legit hard. I work with churches who spend a lot of time and money to have the proper licenses for the media they use in the venues it’s used in (live/streaming/remote/etc).

On the other side I know songwriters who derive part of their income from the licensing of their work.

3 Likes

Instead of that I think this would be a great place for the do not pay guy to step in. If he could leverage AI (or however he does the magic) to make suing dmca abusers easy and successful we could see some real change.

3 Likes

The problem is these aren’t actual DMCA claims, so the (laughable) penalties for false claims don’t apply. The automated YouTube claim / takedown system doesn’t actually require a proper DMCA notice. That’s the whole point. It’s a voluntary action on YouTube’s part, without an official legal DMCA filing. It’s the compromise YouTube came up with way back so that they wouldn’t need an army of lawyers to process the literal mountain of claims that would be filed with them without their voluntary system.

4 Likes