Youtube declares John Lennon's classic "Happy Xmas" to be "offensive content"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/27/if-you-want-it.html

6 Likes

can you contest it?

2 Likes

The world declares America offensive can you contest it .Cancel culture is a cancer…

2 Likes

John Lennon was a British citizen btw.

16 Likes

Which leads us to the WW1 Christmas Truce.

But soon, the soldiers on both sides got down to the serious business of war.

6 Likes

“Cancel Culture” is a product of the imaginations of people who will seriously state that the biggest problem for the US is a “lack of civility in public discourse.”

But also, You⊥ube is being especially dumb with respect to Happy Xmas.

29 Likes

Google/YouTube likely have large service contracts with the Department of Defense.

A song that includes the verse “war is over if you want it” might seem like a threat to their profitability.

11 Likes

As a parent, I want my children to see these images (they have). I also want to choose when and where they see it.

Is this content offensive? No. But still, I don’t want my young ones just stumbling on it by accident.

6 Likes

Struggling to see the problem here.

This is a video that by the post author’s own admission contains potentially triggering or upsetting imagery, and is therefore appropriately labelled.

Is the argument seriously that you think that everyone should watch it regardless of this because what, you think it’s a good song?

A time for some self reflection I think.

7 Likes

Um yeah, no. I hope this is satire

The War on Christmas is won!

2 Likes

Totally agreed. It’s not the song that’s potentially offensive but, rather, the images in the video, some of which are difficult to see. This seems to me to be much ado about nothing.

3 Likes

The title of this article is misleading. It’s not the song deemed “inappropriate or offensive” but the video. So, my question for the author is did you actually watch the video? If so, how is all of the content in it appropriate or inoffensive for children?

1 Like
2 Likes

A whole two posts here with the maturity to see that this is correct.

YouTube has two settings:

1. Literally everyone can see this
  2. Restricted slightly

That’s it.

I don’t think there OP is saying that he should be able to show random four year olds these images. I HOPE he doesn’t realize that that’s what he’s saying.

1 Like

The world is not wrong

10 Likes

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won’t allow them to write ‘fuck’ on their airplanes because it is obscene.“

13 Likes

See also: The War on Christmas (copyright Fox News), ShariObama Law, Chuck Schumer’s Gun Seizin’ Federal Agency, etc.

8 Likes

Youtube declares John Lennon’s classic “Happy Xmas” images of war atrocities to be “offensive content”

There are a lot of clips of dead and maimed children in that video. The song has nothing to do with it.

4 Likes

trigger warning for the last three paragraphs, which are about somebody getting canceled for real

9 Likes