YouTuber exposes three different kinds of scams in Dehli, India

Originally published at: YouTuber exposes three different kinds of scams in Dehli, India | Boing Boing

1 Like

I remember reading many years ago that the only way a beggar could get much attention in the bigger Indian cities was to be missing multiple limbs.

1 Like

I’ve been to many parts of the world but really have no desire to visit India. I’m sure it’s a wonderful country but these types of scams along with the population, pollution and poverty turn me off from wanting to go there.

2 Likes

It’s Delhi, @frauenfelder :smiley:

3 Likes

he’s not Swiss, but New Zelander…

4 Likes

Swiss? nah Kiwi , New Zealander

4 Likes

Hate that these scam exposing videos are so popular. A lot of the world is truly bleak. Have some empathy or maybe anger on behalf of the exploited Global South instead of this pettiness

1 Like

I had a 10h layover in Delhi when returning home from Turkey this May. In old Delhi, I couldn’t even walk 5m per minute because I was being approached by touts so much, and they were persistent. At one point, a boy of around ten just walked up and randomly hugged me. I got out of that situation in a hurry, whatever that was.

I found another foreigner in the same boat and we were like, “Let’s stick together and look like we know where we’re going,” and that actually worked.

Good times.

4 Likes

“Dehli”?

1 Like

Perhaps you would prefer videos exposing scams in the Czech Republic, which is not a poor country.

5 Likes

how is it these jerks don’t get their asses kicked?

1 Like

Perhaps many people feel that kicking someone’s arse because of an attempted scam* is an overreaction?

Just let them know you are wise to their scam, say no and walk on.

*even if you know they are scamming and not genuine beggars

2 Likes

You’re not wrong about the poverty and the pollution. It’s hard to process, and was a brutal first overseas trip. At the same time, there was beauty and wonder and always good people, too. I guess I feel like it’s a shame to miss that part of the world just because of those problems. Then again, we all have our parameters of what we want or do not want in traveling. Mine have often been based around safety and not being a dude.

2 Likes

The way I do that is to flat-out ignore them. I act like they do not exist, and I keep moving. It feels rude as hell when I do it, but it turns out to be more polite overall. I don’t waste their time, and I don’t need to find stronger words than “no”, because “no” doesn’t work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.