YouTube's algorithms demonitizes piano tutorial site for "Repetitious content"

2 Likes

The snark is strong*…©

Copyright * Mel Brooks (img)/ *

All kidding aside, that is some class A nonsense.

1 Like

It’s a tragedy of the commons, and the commons in question are people’s attention. Vimeo is in many ways a superior video hosting service, but even people who know about it usually still search YouTube because they know there are more content creators uploading to it.

In a sense, the problem is that in creating a Town Square or Bazaar without the actual physical space or even broadcast spectrum, we’ve removed the natural resource scarcity that is separate from the people trying to use it (namely land or EM spectrum), leaving only the willingness to associate. And regulating the right to free association is arguably even more fraught than regulating freedom of speech.

Unfortunately, the tech industry has gamed this the same way politicians have gamed mass media, by the fiction that it makes no difference how much money a participant can spend, AKA equating money to speech. Well-funded platforms can reach far more people, so their leverage is much greater and their risk much smaller, allowing them to entrench their market share against competition regardless of the relative quality of the competition on offer.

Pulling%20Up%20the%20Ladder%20Behind%20You|nullxnull

4 Likes

the algorithm flagging things suck but isn’t there a way to fight it? i know i was able to fight it when some public domain music i posted got flagged as copyrighted… not quite the same thing except that it was also probably a program and not a person flagging it… anyway i hope they do get it reversed. it’s annoying as heck.

2 Likes

Yeah, but that ad revenue can be a BIG part of a channel’s income. Especially since it’s passive; users don’t have to click on a damn thing.

1 Like

It does not. But that’s not what I’m about.

I wonder why anyone would entrust their income (or product or brand or whatever) to YouTube at all, so long as these digital shoggoths keep being released.

And we keep hearing about it when it happens—which doesn’t fill me with trust or confidence in the competence of the service.

Sure, they have six nine uptime but your content won’t go anywhere after Bob “Dunning-Kruger” YouTube puts the finishing touches on his latest algorithm for screwing with your stuff.

How does that not get absolutely tiresome?

(Definitely I am guilty of this—even though Vimeo is really nice.)

2 Likes

At last. The end of “Politician Condemns X” videos is in sight.

Burn it to the ground!!! [installs adblock plus]

P.S. they were remonetized yesterday

1 Like

I’ll stick with Vimeo for my “Experiments in Repetition” then!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.