YouTube's algorithms demonitizes piano tutorial site for "Repetitious content"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/15/youtubes-algorithms-demoniti.html

7 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t there plenty of youtube videos aimed at toddlers? And wouldn’t those be repetitious as heck, sort of by definition?

18 Likes

I’m trying to figure out what the goal of the algorithm is here.
Is it trying to prevent ad-revenue for ‘10 hours of xyz’ videos?

(This one had an ad when I went to watch it)
7 Likes

Time to break out the non-repetitive beats, then:

8 Likes

If you make your living on YouTube you need to realise that your customers aren’t your customers, they’re YouTube’s. Or, more correctly, the advertisers are YouTube’s customers and your viewers are YouTube’s product.

Once you’re making enough money on YouTube to make a living, you should look to transitioning to a revenue model that doesn’t rely on YouTube’s untrustworthy, algorithmicly-moderated monetization. You should be investing in your own website with a paid membership system, or if you make educational videos, you should be consolidating them into courses for Udemy or Lynda as a stepping stone to something you have full control over. Heck, even setting up a Patreon account for your superfans to throw a little extra at you is better than just hoping YouTube will keep sending you money. At least then you’re connecting with people in more than one place.

If you don’t transition from YouTube, then you’re exposing yourself to very high levels of financial risk. (If you can’t survive outside of YouTube, have a closer look at your product.)

19 Likes

Stories like this just make me ask: why bother hosting on YT at all?

The benefits must be rather substantial to put up with the chaos and instability YT’s algorithms inflict as a result of the Dunning-Kruger effect tech folk seem to have whenever it comes to dealing with their customers (the content providers).

3 Likes

We say it’s not music. Therefore, it’s not music.

3 Likes

I can’t define music, but I know it when my AI sees it.

10 Likes

not monetized.

5 Likes

The benefits are pretty simple: A free hosting service for video content with a massive user base and discovery tools that generate traffic you wouldn’t otherwise receive.

9 Likes

You also get penalized for refusing to monetize your content.

4 Likes

2e72u3

7 Likes
6 Likes

Aw damn, getting hit with demonites seems a bit harsh just for repetitious content. I would have tried something less onerous first, like maybe demonetization.

4 Likes

Is it worth it?

This is a thing which keeps coming up in relation to large corporations which make spaces we use: is it really yours if a service gives it to you?

Is it still yours when they take it away?

Is it still a benefit when they demonetize your content?

3 Likes
2 Likes

@frauenfelder: cough “Demonetize”. I’m reasonably sure, as rasmussen_bryan notes, that they didn’t add demonites ^^’.

3 Likes
4 Likes

When they ‘demonetize’ the content all they’re taking away is the ad revenue you generate from their hosted ads. That doesn’t prevent you from monetizing the video is other ways. Patreon being one of the more common steps for popular creators. @Seska_Orion Mentioned a couple other options.

3 Likes

4 Likes