Zen and the art of fighting crime

you’ll notice the swastikas point in the opposite direction than the Reich’s do. The Nazi’s stole the symbol and flipped it into to the form we are are more familiar with today.

1 Like

No, no… to fit the pattern, it’s got to be something more like: put up a picture of Joseph Smith and Moslems start to act more in line with Islam.

Put up a picture of Joseph Smith and con artists start leaving counterfeit currency around it like a little shrine.

2 Likes

Yo lo vi

Better quality but no embedding

I actually like the idea of saint statues.

I’m quite decidedly non-christian, but even as a child I was moved by figures like Saint Francis, patron saint of animals (among other things). I grew up in a household with many pets, and my mother was always at least a little devout in religious matters, so when the dogs I had grown up loving passed away late in my childhood and we buried them, we marked the spots with statues of Francis.

And even putting aside my personal experiences, the man himself was a fascinating historical figure, with a life that has striking similarities to that of the Buddha. Reknowned for his humility, kindness, generosity, and his love of animals, one need not share his religious convictions to be inspired by his life and acts.

Faith and awe are powerful forces. The key is putting them to proper use. Too many people are all too ready to use faith to foster agendas of hatred or selfishness, while not nearly enough are willing to employ it for altruistic measures. Faith is too often used selfishly, instead of generously.

I wonder how a nice orrery with a little china teapot in an elliptical orbit between Earth and Mars would fare? Maybe if we set up a little shrine with teacups to receive offerings of tea…

1 Like

If someone puts up a shrine of Joseph Smith, I promise to deposit the full contents of a Monopoly game’s bank at the shrine if ever I am within 100 miles of it.

I don’t think most people get the reference. If I were more artistic I might give it a try.

1 Like

You mean people don’t know their Bertrand Russell? Tsk.

I suspect the thought of people bowing and making offerings of tea at such a shrine would have tickled his sense of humour. I’m creative enough, I suppose, and my maths are good enough for the calculations, but I’m afraid I really don’t know my way around a machine shop well enough for the work that would be required. <sigh>

You could probably Russell up some type of response if you really wanted to.

edited…Oops, I guess the game is up now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.