Zero tolerance schools and cops: kids are not perps

How does this explain the behavior of non unionized security forces?

1 Like

Perhaps I am venting, although the article listed for this thread states an officer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager was earlier reprimanded for insubordination and other offences continually and was never fired but remained an officer. Eventually he killed a unarmed teenage boy and was not penalized or charged. Power of the unions.

You chart is ambiguous. Both union and non-union workers are in decline?

Any who, I worked in a few union manufacturing environments. Seems the grumpy half assed moaners are treated with kid gloves and anyone who is a diligent worker is harassed out the door via grievances. Just saying.

Iā€™m hard-pressed to put my finger on a possible mechanism, but it sure seems as if school environments in the US are increasingly tailor-made to dovetail perfectly with the insane, dystopian headlong rush into a hellish police-state corporatocracyā€¦

2 Likes

Holy shit, what the fuck is going on with your country? Sort that shit out!

These people do not need ā€œsensitivity trainingā€, they need to be put in jail.

1 Like

My experience with inner city students is that the overwhelming majority want to learn, but the resources are very limited and the student/teacher ratio is awful. My ex back in the day taught at-risk ā€œinner cityā€ kids and we had to buy the kids books out of our own pockets.

I guess it must vary across the country. Here in N.J. inner-city school districts spend about $19K per student each year.

I think its past time we look at the role of police in our society.
I dont think the Framers had the vision of 1/2 the population looking over thier shoulder.
From speeding tickets, to drugs to ā€¦ schools?

I was in a holding tank for a weekend
(for a seat-belt ticket that had been paid, city hall mistake)
I met someone who was there for sitting on a park bench.
The jails are partially funded by the Fed Gov.
Every time they bust someone, the state gets $
The cops have quotas they have to meet
2+2 = insanity = tragedy.
Now, prisons have become privatized in many states, and corruption is the name of the game.
ā€¦ yep, lets throw pre-teens into the mix tooā€¦
They will grow up hating cops more than now.

Are you talking about rent-a-cops, who often have even worse issues than actual cops? AKA often the people the cops wouldnā€™t even take?

You chart is ambiguous. Both union and non-union workers are in decline?

Sorry, that was a shitty chart. I snagged it off of wikipedia and didnā€™t look it over close enough. This explains it better:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/24/us-usa-unions-membership-idUSBRE90M1MQ20130124

The problem isnā€™t unions, the problem is the insane entitlement culture in police departments across the US.

2 Likes

Except that this narrow line of thinking precludes the very real possibility of domesticated or docile bears, which historically have existed in not insignificant numbers. In every region that has bears, in every time period, there have been bears that have cooexisted peacefully with humans.

Bears arenā€™t innately brutal beasts, and even if they were, humans are more than capable of training and domesticating them. Likewise, police officers arenā€™t innately violent thugs, and society is more than capable of training them however we like, to do whatever we like, and to not do whatever we donā€™t like.

There is nothing intrinsically stopping people from employing well trained, docile, domesticated bears on puppy farms, either as protectors for the puppies, or as companions, or both. Bears are perfectly capable of not only NOT mauling and eatting puppies, but actually rearing them and guarding them as if they were their own kin or offspring.

Likewise, there is nothing intrinsically stopping people from employing well trained, docile, domesticated police officers in schools, either as protectors for the children, or as companions, or both. Police officers are perfectly capable of not only NOT harming and abusing children, but actually rearing them and guarding them as if they were their own kin or offspring.

I would agree with your assertions about justice and go on to say that school officials who adopt ā€œzero toleranceā€ policies are abrogating their duties to educate, support, and lead children. For hundreds of years, we have paid school officials to provide this function, and now they have decided they can no longer be bothered to do it. So what exactly are we paying them for?

Itā€™s because since 9/11 police have been militarized.

Iā€™m so glad I graduated high school in the mid-1990s before Columbine and 9/11, back when we were still something of a civil society. Now we just have this creeping police state that arrogates more and more power to itself. What better way to acclimate children to living in a police state than by having police in the schools, hog tying them for drawing on their desks?

I believe for the most part the zero tolerance policies actually come from elected school boards, not from administrators. Lord knows what happens in other states, or even out-state in Minnesota, but every single administrator I know hates that kind of proscriptive discipline because it keeps them from using their own judgment. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the underlying attitude of ā€œwhat are we paying them for?ā€ is the cause of such policies. The vast majority of elected school board members are not trained in education and often know nothing about education when they start. (Though of course, many become very knowledgeable and effective during their time in office.) But the discourse about education has become so toxic that people with neither knowledge or experience in the field feel perfectly okay with micro-managing every aspect of school life. Itā€™s really very disheartening.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.