Zoë Quinn's book about online abuse gets a release date

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/04/zoe-quinns-book-about-gamerg.html

8 Likes

Typical. It’s all about preordering in book publishing…

10 Likes

Not me - I’ve always found Ms. Quinn to have been a terrific source of truth and wisdom during all that mess, and while the review may or may not confirm my assumptions of her literary abilities; having a first-hand account of what she went through is invaluable primary source material for this topic.

23 Likes

I’m not looking forward to the review section on Amazon for this one.

27 Likes

Or the comments sections of any reviews elsewhere, either. All those Gamergoobers will be coming out of the woodwork to spill their spite.

17 Likes

She’s remarkably brave for continuing to fight the good fight after all the shit that’s been slung her way. Leslie Jones, too. My head would’ve rage-exploded after about ten minutes of Gamergater nonsense.

20 Likes

I’m honestly surprised they haven’t shown up here yet.

10 Likes

I think her approach is right on. GG is interesting in itself only because it was the first real eruption of the alt-right into the popular culture that eventually led to Trumpism, which has eclipsed previous outbreaks. Her struggle dealing with fascist man-babies is more interesting.

The germergoats always get beaten back pretty hard here when they pop their heads up. It seems to discourage them.

19 Likes

I’m sure reviews will be up on Amazon long before anyone could have read the book.

13 Likes

Cue the GamerGate sockpuppets in 3…2…1…

5 Likes

Let’s sum up the likeliest GG comments:

“WIMMINS ARE BAD THEY BLEED AND CALL ME NAMES AND STUFF WHY THEY GOTTA WRITE A BOOK ABOUT IT WHY CAN’T WE HAVE FEEEMAIL COMPUTERS INSTEAD THEY WOULD BE A LOT NICER ALSO HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY PENIS”

8 Likes

Some culture commentators saw the roots of this as early as the anti-disco record burnings of the early 80’s. Certainly gives one food for thought.

3 Likes

The reactionary cultural strain is older than that, I’m sure, but this particular, individual manifestation of it is exactly the same as those behind Trumpism - the same people, organizations, etc. promoting both Trump and gamertaint.

“It’s about ethics in gaming journali… shit, we don’t need to bother with that sad, unconvincing excuse anymore, do we? It’s about getting women out of the gaming industry - we can finally admit that, now that Trump is president.”

11 Likes

Not quite

It’s about getting women out of gaming. Fuck those of us who have been playing video games since the 80s. We don’t really exist.

12 Likes

Oh, they’re fine with women in gaming so long as they keep their mouths shut and tits out. It’s women who are having any sort of creative impact - making games, talking critically about games (the very idea of “criticism” itself being fundamentally misunderstood/misrepresented by gamertaints), suggesting that as gamers they’d like to see something different - those are the troublesome voices they’re trying to squash. Plus all those male “white knights” who are also talking about or making different sorts of games - obviously they’re only doing it because of evil women.
Of course you’re right - they waited until the demographics of gaming had already long ago shifted, so change was inevitable regardless of what women did or said just by existing as even silent consumers of games. I’m not sure the gamertaints are aware of that, though - they aren’t a smart bunch.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.