Zoos as colonialist enterprises

Originally published at: Zoos as colonialist enterprises | Boing Boing

5 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve still got mixed feelings about the fact that for many years Disneyland had an “Indian Village” in Frontierland with real tribes as an attraction.

https://www.yesterland.com/village.html

By the standards of the day it was apparently fairly authentic and respectful (better than what folks saw in that infamous sequence in Peter Pan, anyway) but still…

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered why the tiger in Blake’s great poem “The Tyger” is not at all a fearsome looking beast.

Scholarly commentary says the tiger looks confused because it’s “in the forests of the night,” and not enlightened, which seems like a bit of a reach. I used to think it was because Blake had never seen a tiger. In Blake’s time (around 1800) if any city in the world had a zoo with a tiger in it, it would’ve been London. So now I’ve come around to thinking that, although he was a brilliant poet, Blake was a pretty primitive artist.

3 Likes

Doesn’t really compute as given. On the other hand animal-constructed boundaries and concessions against human built environment (or just cars) has a ways to go.

…how Blake could rhyme “eye” with “symmetry”.

4 Likes

I also just never got the impression Blake was a fan of The Enlightenment, what with equating Newton with night and sleep.

1 Like

Symme… try (as in ‘fry’) :wink:

3 Likes

/S

Emotion Reaction GIF

4 Likes

I’ve got it!

What immortal hand or knee
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

1 Like

I see what you mean.

1 Like

I mean…

Right?

1 Like

This book, among other things, describes zoos before europeans got their vulgar little hands on them

Animals and Inequality in the Ancient World

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.