17 facts about "The Blair Witch Project"

[Read the post]

1 Like

No. 0: It was awful, excruciatingly bad, I can’t believe I paid to watch this crap.

3 Likes

I could never take this film seriously.

“How would we have, like, just… made a campsite in the middle of three piles of rocks, just by coincidence?” - Heather

“You’re right. No human being would stack books like this” - Dr. Peter Venkman

10 Likes

i loved this movie. some people don’t like psychological thrillers, i get it – but i found it definitely chilling. my husband was working in that area of maryland at the time, and he brought me back a t-shirt from burkittsville. i still have it, somewhere.

8 Likes

I thought it was brilliant. It might have lost its spark of originality in 2015, now that we’ve had a glut of found-footage thrillers, but they took a simple idea and did terrific things with it. I’d never think a little ball of dirt and teeth or a guy standing in the corner of a basement would scare the bejeezus out of me, but it worked.

13 Likes

When I watched it, I was about to take off with a friend on a 5-day-long retreat. We ate hot dogs from the theater, and quickly got sick. I couldn’t look up at the screen for more than a few seconds at a time or I’d get really queasy, so I didn’t actually see most of the movie.

Partway through the movie, she got up and vomited into a trash can. I did not. I was ill for most of the retreat and she wasn’t.

Later I bought the movie on VHS from a discount bin. I never even got around to unwrapping the plastic from it.

4 Likes

I really liked the idea of the film and I’m glad something a little unusual was so successful. But I couldn’t watch the scenes that weren’t shot on the (16mm?) B&W film without feeling like I was going to throw up. Can’t do shaky camera at the cinema. That’s why I didn’t go and see Cloverfield when that came out.

5 Likes

Cloverfield was a little bit rough – I had to look away a few times, but not constantly. Though a lack of food poisoning probably helped there.

I hadn’t planned to see Cloverfield, but went out to dinner with my spouse and we wound up running into my boss at the restaurant and he had extra tickets.

That’s why I didn’t see either of these in the theater. In fact, I still haven’t seen either of these, though I mean to do so, some day. I keep forgetting.

1 Like

The list of facts explain a lot. For instance, there was no real script, which is why almost all the dialogue consists of the same three lines, over and over:
“What the fuck?”
“Josh!”
“I’m so scared.”

My experience of the movie, and what I’ve heard a lot of other people say, is that the first time I watched it, I was constantly tense, expecting something to happen, but on a second viewing, I just kept laughing, because I knew nothing was ever going to happen.

6 Likes

Biggest ripoff ever.

2 Likes

Why on Earth did you watch it twice?

4 Likes

The regional director of Loews Cineplex Entertainment estimated that, on average, one person per screening got sick and asked for a refund.

Damn, I wish 16-years-ago me knew that was possible. I ended up walking out not long after they entered the house.

2 Likes

I’d happily watch it twice, or many times. It’s a stone cold classic.

I always forget that it’s not cool to like popular movies, though. Drat!

9 Likes

It was cheap and largely improvised and doesn’t make any actual sense, I know, but when I first hired it on DVD I watched it three times over. It got into my head that weekend.

I worked for me for some reason.

3 Likes

I loved that it made so much money on such a small budget. I hated the influence it had. It even jumped genres to ruin Europa Report.

1 Like

That’s what I kept asking myself.

I’m convinced the degree to which this film scared the hell out of people comes down to 2 things:

1. How personally familiar you are with spending time in a rural/woodland setting, away from human habitation (doubly so if you’ve spent a lot of time in the woods at night)…
  2. How active your imagination is (i.e. how well and readily it fills in the gaps).

I saw it in the theater shortly after it came out, and that was one of the most terrifying nights of my life. Never watched it again.

4 Likes

Conversely, when I first saw it, I thought it was ok, but nowhere near as great as the hype. Decided to give it another shot at the dollar theatre (I miss those) and appreciated it a bit more, thought it was pretty good. A few years later, I got it from the library, by which time it moved up to very good. A few more years later, watched it for a film class, and decided that, although not without flaws, it’s reasonably great. I figure I need to give it two or three more viewings before I decide it’s the greatest movie of all time and space.

3 Likes

Everyone complaining about it? I want you to sit down and mull over this very important fact: The guys who made it watched nineteen hours of it and trimmed it down to 90 minutes.

Nineteen hours. How horrifying is that? Nine-teen. Bless their hearts.

3 Likes