80 million plastic balls to prevent Los Angeles reservoirs from becoming carcinogenic

Probably one of these (sans unicorns, naturally)

1 Like

Do they do anything to reduce evaporation? If it was me, I’d shape them as hexagonal pucks for 100% coverage. This idea was being looked at a while back to cover tailings ponds at the big copper mines in the Atacama to reduce the evaporation of (scarce and increasingly expensive) water.

5 Likes

While they were at it I’d think they’d want to make them white so they’re slightly more reflective to reduce the head sink effect. Maybe it’s negligible?

3 Likes

PE and PET are very different. Polyethylene is a polyolefin, pretty similar to paraffin wax. On its own pretty inert. Long chains of carbons, each with two hydrogens attached. Polyethylene terephthalate is a polyester, where terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol moieties are alternating. Both may or may not contain additives, which may or may not be problems.

8 Likes

They’re also supposed to reduce bird activity in the water, meaning less bird poop and the odd floating or sunken dead bird. As for reducing evaporation, I’m curious about that as well, as it should reduce the evaporation effects of wind over the surface of the water, but the color of the balls may increase evaporation effects by reflecting less light and retaining heat. I’m surprised that they don’t use a white version of these balls, supposing such a product exists.

2 Likes

Polyethylene as in HDPE.

From what looks like a related article (though it may be talking about a different reservoir):

The reason LADWP is using the bird balls is because they are the ONLY National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) drinking-water-approved product of its kind on the market. When we discuss NSF approval, it means that this product has been tested precisely to ensure that it does not create the kinds of problems that some are insisting they create. The balls are made of High Density Polyethylene – a long-time water industry product also used for pipelines, and a black version of the same clear product you buy your one gallon container of milk in (look on the bottom for the HDPE label).

3 Likes

Hmm. Apparently some people use ping pong balls to reduce evaporation when cooking sous vide, but there is significant debate about whether that actually does much. People have tried it with reservoirs, though a quick search doesn’t turn up much hard science on the subject. Seems like there are a couple of things working against that idea in this case; first, the balls are hollow, which means they float high and don’t reduce the evaporative surface much, second they are black so they are likely to increase the temperature near the surface, increasing the rate of evaporation. Still, you would be blocking a theoretical 60% or more of the surface from direct sunlight, so it might have some positive effect. Certainly with something that packed more closely, covered more surface, and reflected light instead of absorbing it, there would be a much higher reduction in evaporation - possibly even approaching 100%. Shame they didn’t think about that when contracting for these balls.

close inspection of the video however shows no sign of that, so the trailer is probably one of those with a roll back top.

Black apparently blocks UV better.

As for coverage, even if the balls float high, (covering less of the water) the more humid air next to the surface still has to exchange with the less humid air above them through the triangular area between the balls, which is going tl tend to slow down evaporation…

3 Likes

I wonder why they didn’t use empty, sealed aluminum cans? Certainly they’d be cheaper, they’re non-reactive, and once the inevitable “we shouldn’t have done this” happens they’d be completely recyclable.

6 Likes

I want so badly to build some loop-de-loops and giant windmills and turn the thing into the world’s largest ball maze.

What about floating pontoons with solar cells? The covered surface would then be used also to make electricity, and offset the cost of the measure.

…or just react the bromates away during processing?

1 Like

I don’t want to sound too Pollyannaish, but on the rare occasions a municipal utility does something that makes your inner geek say “ooh, innnnnnnnnnnteresting,” they’ve probably thought it through about as well as is humanly possible. Civil engineers rarely get the chance to be creative in a proactive way, and I doubt they’d miss the chance to do it right.

I’m directing that at basically all the snark here (and snark was my first impulse, too), but to take your example: turning a lake into a giant mirror might have undesirable effects on the microclimate, or on wildlife; coating the balls with another ingredient of different chemical makeup than the one they wanted might defeat the anti-carcinogenic purpose, or introduce other toxic effects, or raise the price past the point of feasibility; non-spherical objects might be more likely to foul drainage or get tangled up in one another; evaporation might be a trivial concern compared to poor supply or excessive demand.

In short, whatever godawful catastrophe inevitably arises from this, I doubt it will be of the “shoulda thought of that” variety. :wink:

9 Likes

Steel shutters like at missile silos!

1 Like

The Homeland Security Agency provided me with a small SBIR grant for alternatives to chlorine in purification of water. My solution as well as those provided by other small businesses was rejected in favor of one proposed by a well connected University.

1 Like

People say that New York, Chicago, Detroit are tough cities. But LA, now THAT city has some balls!

4 Likes

If you’re watching, Portland, remember - no peeing in the ball pit!

6 Likes

Simple, they just ran time backwards. Didn’t you see the .gif?

Will they interfere with my dog-given right to pee into the reservoir?

2 Likes

That’s fairly common. What were the differences and the stated reasons?

Bromides in water are quite a bitch. Add chlorine, they turn to bromine and react with stuff to organobromides, namely bromoform. Add ozone, they turn to bromates. Is there a way to get rid of them in an economic way? Maybe anion-exchange resins, exchange for Cl- or OH-?