A close look at the new Uber logo reveals infuriatingly untidy details

When I have stress dreams, it usually takes the form of shapes which will not line up properly, or colors which are close but NOT the same. No people, just my consciousness in a 2D hell of misalignment, like objects snapping to different grids.

It’s a weird experience to startle awake, sweaty and freaked out, to have someone else ask “what’s wrong” and the answer is… “they just won’t fucking line up!” So, now I just say “spiders”.

18 Likes

It’s your ass being reamed by Uber.

4 Likes

Who said that mark was a driver?

1 Like

I was listening to a recent Gist podcast where he was asking whether Synesthesia was “Bullshit” (spoiler: it’s not)–and apparently quite a few synesthetes have perfect pitch.

So perhaps Steve Job’s perception of certain minor details was translated by his brain into a domain where these things were magnified into “How can you not see this?”

Also, Apple sees itself as a company that produces products with no rough edges. Everything is supposed to be intentional.

5 Likes

I’m loathe to (aside from my being incapable and also not a medical doctor) diagnose a personality disorder in a celebrity online, but that sure does sound like someone I know personally!!

(and, ironically, he is a massive apple fanboi of the obnoxious kind)

1 Like

This is pretty much the beef i have with the rider logo. It doesn’t represent anything, and while that’s not a pre-requisite for a logo i do think it’s lazy in Uber’s case. Rotating the exact same logo 90 degrees would remediate the issue. What does the backwards C as a logo mean? Nothing? Not even visually? Then change it.

2 Likes

Both run in my family, though not universally. I’m musically useless, but I can tune a guitar by ear no problem. My sister has number-color associations, and some other stuff. Thanks for the podcast tip!

1 Like

This is what happens when a CEO designs his own logo (and by “designs” I mean “stands behind someone who knows Illustrator and points at things until it looks the way he wants”).

I do like the tile patterns they’re using and how they interact with the logo, however.

4 Likes

I always took that to be about establishing his preferred relationship to Google, i.e., the “Jobs Superior” position. He couldn’t do it to Larry, Sergey and Eric personally, but he could reach into the org and do it to an underling.

2 Likes

Snerk.

1 Like

This person

What person? Where is the link to the source?

1 Like

I think it represents where the uber driver is waiting for you vs. where you actually are: just around the corner

4 Likes

Adobe Creative Suite?

I think it was PowerPoint.

(ETA: Not a joke, that overhanging line and slightly off center square are exactly what happens when you try to line up shapes on a PowerPoint slide. That rounded rectangle? PowerPoint)

7 Likes

A close look at Uber reveals Uber is infuriating.

12 Likes

When ever i’ve designed something i always pain over every pixel and every minute detail. I want geometric perfection and perfection in aesthetics.

BUT no one else fucking notices. Most people who are not designers or have a design oriented mind do not notice or care about these details. You have to point out these little details to them.

I mean i design for myself anyway but it would be nice to get a little appreciation from the outside world :grimacing:

3 Likes

Google led me to Imgur, and a photo by Sesto:
Imgur

1 Like

And as someone who prepare files for printing all day, a little OCD keeps things consistent, especially when you have one client with multiple items. Small shifts in placement and color can screw up how things look from item to item. Some corporations are super picky and this will lead to lots of new proofs and worst case, wasted product.

The not centered thing is just shit attention to detail. It’s not off centered enough to be a design decision.

The line going to0 far - eh - yes that detail might show up on some backgrounds and not look right or sloppy. If it is a stroked line you can run the danger of a cap making it look different or the stroke sizing weird if someone resized it. IMO, something like that needs to be an object with the end rounded to match the circle.

Also - the logo is shit because I have no idea WTF the company is. I realize that is with most new companies, but the old logo at least had a U and the name. Now you are going to have to re-populate your brand into the populations psyche. It isn’t clever. It reflects neither the name nor what they do. It is a meaningless shape.

Here is an article about it - but I will have to read it later.

3 Likes

there is such a thing as being optically centered, as opposed to mathematically centered.

as far as the overhanging stroke line, if you don’t like how the sausage is made, then don’t go into the factory. as a designer, i’ve done the same thing when under time constraints just to get something to press. unless you’re looking at the working file for the logo, you can’t really say that was how it was made, anyway.

2 Likes

This IS a joke right? We all know that yes?
The block IS centred in the ORIGINAL image and the only reason that the arrowed ‘…is this SHIT’ section is blocked at the end is because it was made that way when whoever posted it changed the colour from blue to green.
You do know that right?! Or did you just post this without checking because you’re lazy and incompetent?

1 Like

Where did the person even get this image?

On Uber’s main page describing the change, the logo does not have that overhang:

Did this person find some prototype for the logo, and decide to rant about it? Or simply make it up out of whole cloth?

A bit more fact-checking before running with this story would be in order here…

2 Likes