A close look at the new Uber logo reveals infuriatingly untidy details

I’m guessing that @frauenfelder just followed the link by the random user named “sesto” half-way down this Reddit conversation?

It’s very odd to have this entirely unattributed, random, incorrect post.

4 Likes

Do you think he noticed the yellow because of Google? Because that was my point, it wasn’t about apple or power, it was about perception and a subjective sense of harmony.

2 Likes

I do guess he decided to raise the issue mostly because of his controlling nature rather than his design sensibility. That’s how I past-tense-read it.

1 Like

22 Likes

That’s not necessarily an indicator that a logo is shit. Just looking at the logos alone you’d never guess that Apple made computers or that Nike made athletic shoes.

1 Like

OK fair point, but Apple relates to the name, and the swoosh (not their original logo) conveys motion. Regular/original logo has their name.

2 Likes

Perhaps I can re-ask my question? I think you totally answered why he raised the issue with a vendor, but that was not my question. Please, this was:

1 Like

As far as I’ve been able to research this relief sculpture of the Greek goddess is the most likely inspiration for the Nike “swoosh” icon (which has long been used in various lockups with and without accompanying logotype).

Of course it still doesn’t directly relate to running shoes, any more than apples relate directly to computers. But that’s where building brand awareness comes into play.

2 Likes

I have to agree… I thought Boing Boing was one of the good blogs? You know, the ones that include source links. I’ve seen this happen on Boing Boing before and if it’s by design it’s a disturbing trend.

And while I’m ranting… why are you hijacking the browser’s Ctrl-F functionality? That’s not nice.

2 Likes

I would ask @codinghorror, he’s good with infuriatingly untidy details - and probably the responsible party.

F3 still works if you want to pull up the default in-browser search (I’ve only tested this in chrome)

My guess would be that it’s because the browser search only works on the part of the page which is loaded, which tends to be a small subset of the comments, whereas the hijacked search will search in all comments, including the unloaded bits

1 Like

Not everything is loaded in the page as you scroll down, and earlier content is unloaded, so in browser search wouldn’t find contents that aren’t currently loaded. You can press ctrl+f twice to override – but remember what I said earlier.

5 Likes

9 Likes

I don’t know, that depends on what he saw. Do we have a picture of the before and after versions? But either way, I don’t think it was about the color.

We know what he saw, unless we are accusing him of lying. Are you questioning the very premise that he saw a reason to call by focusing on the who and when he did so? Dunning-Kruger effect at play maybe?

Can we agree he saw something, or is this being hit on the head lessons?

the IT of this story for you, and the IT of why I brought that story up, seem miles apart.

I don’t feel like this is a conversation, as you keep moving on to what happened NEXT and really not engaging with my point, even as I engage with yours, which is about someone else being controlling, right? so I’m out.

are you familiar with the oddlysatisfying category on another popular website?

1 Like

Fantastic… spiders that are not all the same… :expressionless:

3 Likes

I tried to like, and I got this:

So, I like it, I just can’t “like” like it/.

1 Like

No soup for you!

I notice now that there are only two spiders, a male and female, with copies and mirror images.

2 Likes

Imgur Photo Album: Images to make perfectionists suffer

2 Likes