A game that shares the traditions and values of Native culture

[Read the post]

1 Like

Ehdrigor was a Kickstarter that did moderately well. I backed it. While I got my core book and the first promised adventure, there has been no contact from the author, Allen Turner, in over a year. leaving several promised items unfulfilled.

As for the Ehdrigor book itself, the contents are great, but the book itself could have been half the page count and thus cheaper to produce. The font used looks to be about 14 points, margins are excessively large, and there are many empty pages between sections. It just looks obviously padded, to reach the promised page count.

Hopefully, with this media attention, Allen will come back to the project and complete the unfulfilled items.

1 Like

Maybe heā€™s on Indian time or something.

3 Likes

ā€œā€¦the Native experienceā€?

There are more than a dozen clearly culturally-distinct First Nations just in Canada alone - with different origin stories. Iā€™m sure itā€™s at least that many in the 'States. They only have one Native experience?

/ yeah, I canā€™t tell 'em apart either, eh.
// sarcasm, dontchaknow.

1 Like

See, this is why I lost interest in D&D back in the Pleistocene era. There was nothing like this.

1 Like

Glorantha has been around since 1975. One of its major systems involves going on spirit quests and attempting to recreate the histories of your chosen people and its heroes. The whole ā€œwoesā€ and ā€œshiversā€ setting is very familiar to it. RuneQuest was considered one of the ā€œbig threeā€. It may not have been this exactly, but I would argue it was ā€œlikeā€ this in lots of ways (although the setting grew over time in lots of different ways).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Dragon_Pass is a popular video game that was based on it that I would definitely recommend people check out.

Like most RP systems, better modern alternatives exist, and a tighter more focused system can often be more rewarding than these large generalist systems, but this is simply the first example that jumped to mind off the top of my head.

D&D has always been simply the mass-appealed, power fantasy version of pen & paper gamers, and is hardly representative of the entire genre (though it did shape it in lots of ways simply by virtue of its popularity).

None of that is to say thereā€™s anything wrong with this system, and it actually sounds like something Iā€™d rather like to try.

2 Likes

Purchased!

I love FATE based games.

1 Like

Gosh, that doesnā€™t sound racist at all.

3 Likes

I think you need to go back and read the article again.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Have you not heard people refer to ā€œthe white experienceā€ or ā€œthe African-American experienceā€ or ā€œthe Asian-American experienceā€? All of those groups have a lot of different backgrounds, too. Do you understand what is meant by those?

Given that both the designer and the reviewer are Native American, I think youā€™re really reaching to find racism in that phrase.

1 Like

Definitely check out Fate Core. Itā€™s a great system. It lends itself to all sorts of adventures, from your traditional hack ā€˜nā€™ slash fantasy setting to more intimate mental/spiritual games like the one described here.

The Fate Core book is definitely worth the $25. Itā€™s got glossy pages, a nice binding, copious examples, useful armor on the illustrations of women, and a refreshing diversity of characters and pronouns. Also available for free online: http://fate-srd.com/ (without all the awesome examples)

2 Likes

For those interested in hearing the game played, the One Shot podcast played a session of Ehdrigohr run by the gameā€™s author, Allen Turner: http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/one-shot/74-ehdrigohr-1/

1 Like
  1. A native experience.

2. Talk to a Quebecker, then to a Valley girl. What common ā€œwhite experienceā€ do they share? Cultural touchstones? Language? History? Shared group aims?

I havenā€™t had the chance to try it, but I thought it seemed pretty specialized. It emphasizes story, where sometimes you need a different balance between story, ability, and chance. I get the impression that it gives player-characters a lot of plot armor and it would take a lot of work to avoid issues with plot armor.

Western storytelling is dominated by the tyranny of the narrator, but the oral traditions of Native culture work very differently.

Really? I havenā€™t been active in the scene for a while, but last time around, there was a host of different approaches some of which went without a single narrator altogether.

Huh, I thought it an appropriate response, even if everyone else appears to be calling you racist or rolling their eyes at youā€¦ :wink:

This is an article on, among other things, the concept of Indian Time. The very first comment is ā€œthe author hasnā€™t fulfilled his obligations in over a year, and so hasnā€™t kept to our agreed-upon schedule.ā€ How could one not respond with a reference Indian Time?

Iā€™m sure the additional pieces of the Kickstarter will be finished when it is time for them to be finished. For example, perhaps it will encourage others to stand up and contribute, and perhaps the whole game will be better for it?

3 Likes

Kind of the opposite. Itā€™s setting neutral. The only ā€œspecializationā€ is it is for narrative focused games as opposed to ā€œWe spent two hours moving our miniatures around a gridā€ games.

ā€¦ But what about ā€œwe wanted to get rid of our plot armorā€ games?

Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t recognize the jargon. Can you define what ā€œplot armorā€ is in a game?