A "Just Look At It/banana/'nana" button

Continuing the discussion from What about additional post reactions other than “like”?:

All props to @echolocatechoco, I really just thought this was worth having its own thread for yeas, nays, and bb-centric variations.

[Edited to fix one of those accursed misplaced apostrophes.]

5 Likes

Count me in the group of people very much in favour of this.

2 Likes

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
yes

9 Likes

Ha, this thread! Just look at it.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Just wanted to say, I completely approve of this topic:

There is always money in the banana stand.

3 Likes

:banana: YES! JUST LOOK AT IT!

1 Like

Actually. In all seriousness… the sentiment, “just look at it”, is what the “like” button really ought to be. Not necessarily a vote of approval but an indication that “this is important, this contributes to the discussion, this is relevant”.

Of course people will try to game it, just like any kind of upvoting–that’s why the top comments on popular threads on e.g. Reddit are usually either dumb jokes or pandering. But maybe implying that it is worth looking at, rather than just a “yes! me too!” would change the dynamic somehow? Of course BB has a different culture anyway, so, I dunno.

The incongruity of a “hmm yes very interesting” button being a complete non-sequitur also tickles me.

1 Like

I suggest a ‘TAO’ button, that recedes from your pointer as you attempt to click it and implies you feel an ineffable sense of positive emptiness about the article in question.

2 Likes

IMHO, a banana button would serve the purpose of declaring a subject beyond discussion. It would be a BoingBoing specific designation that this post has an ineffable quality that only long time mutants would fully ‘get.’

For this reason I suggest the privilege be reserved for those who have been registered mutants for at least two years. Perhaps an oath of semi-seriousness would need to be signed.

Abuses would be dealt with. Privileges withdrawn if the button is used with too much intent. The un-translatable nature of “just look at it.” would be the responsibility of the community to maintain through peer pressure.

The clicking of the button would be a solemn and permanent designation that, we, as a community, find the subject of the post worthy of our collective gaze but beyond the vulgar need to explain.

3 Likes

JUST LOOK AT IT! JUST LOOK AT IT! (à la the scene at 46:23: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojZZ2ARt6BU)

Sadly, some who have been around for your arbitrary length of time didn’t survive the transition to the new system. Should they be deemed unworthy of saying ‘Just look at this post’?

Have you signed the oath of semi-seriousness? I can’t reply unless you have.

1 Like

There is no semi-serious. Only internet-serious [banana].

Yes! Although I am often far too serious, so semi-seriousness could be an improvement for me.

2 Likes

and as a button it would save us at least 16 keystrokes!

banana keystrokes are never wasted.

2 Likes

Werner Herzog: [On the banana] Kinski always says it’s full of erotic elements. I don’t see it so much erotic. I see it more full of obscenity. It’s just - Nature here is vile and base. I wouldn’t see anything erotical here. I would see fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and… growing and… just rotting away. Of course, there’s a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don’t think they - they sing. They just screech in pain. It’s an unfinished country. It’s still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is - is the dinosaurs here. It’s like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever… goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It’s a fruit that God, if he exists has - has created in anger. It’s the only food where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what’s around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of… overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness and baseness and obscenity of all these bananas - Uh, we in comparison to that enormous articulation - we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half-finished sentences out of a stupid suburban… novel… a cheap novel. We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication… overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the stars up here in the - in the sky look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the banana. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 1268 days. New replies are no longer allowed.