A visit to a legal recreational marijuana store

You must be heaps of fun at concerts.

Are they putting the edibles in childproof, clearly labeled packaging? That was the only issue I had with legalization.

1 Like

I love that rant so much I want to have sex with it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m almost ashamed to admit that I agree with him. Your right to swing your fist and allā€¦

1 Like

I understand his position too, I just donā€™t like being labelled when Iā€™m considerate of people when I smoke. There is smoking like an asshole and thereā€™s smoking with regard to others. I donā€™t blow smoke on people. I try to get in my own space. I also find it ridiculous since leaving some gigs covered in the sweat and beer of others is a given.

Yep. Itā€™s pretty similar here in Arizona, where we have medical marijuana. Except you have to deal with the whole getting and carrying around your card.

Growing weed is a lot harder than it seems, especially if you want high-quality weed and you want to grow enough to keep you stocked and maybe to share with your friends, too. If you grow outside, you have to worry about climate, and bugs. If you grow inside, you have to worry about bugs ā€¦ and the proper lighting.

Iā€™ve had several friends grow weed, with varying success. Itā€™s really not that fucking easy. I have no desire whatsoever to grow my own, but I lack a green thumb in general and it just does not in any way appeal to me. Iā€™m sad that a friend of mine who was pretty successful at it has moved to California (I live in AZ).

A friend of mine in Cali tried to grow it, outdoors, and was very meticulous and STILL her plants were over run by some sort of bugs. Which sucks and can be really costly (money and time, wasted).

Iā€™d rather just hit up my local dispensary which does all the work for me and which has high quality stuff. My stuff would not be that nicve. No way. And itā€™s not just growing ā€“ you have to cure and trim and all that, too.

You can now get little vaporizer pens, much like e-cigs, which helps tremendously. They are much more common, now. Also, edibles and oiils and tinctures prevent one from having to share smoke with the public.

7 Likes

I respectfully disagree. The biggest difficulties of growing weed are: Theft & Criminality. Here in NSW, Australia itā€™s not legal to grow and, so far, Iā€™ve not got a criminal record so Iā€™m not about to start. I too would rather pay a dealer to shoulder the dangers of being caught with a large amount, but if I had the space to make it happen relatively risk-free I would.

That all being said, I do have experience growing and I agree itā€™s not a walk in the park - itā€™s just that the payoff is well worth a bit of effort. One plant can yield anywhere from a couple of ounces up to a pound or two. If youā€™ve got a partner or live in a share house, as long as youā€™ve got their permission to grow on their behalf, you can grow up to the limit (in the case of Colorado, 6 plants) per person, not per household. In university I lived with 2 guysā€¦ if we had these laws we couldā€™ve legally had 18 plants, 9 of which were in flower at any one time. 9 plants yeilding say 8oz apiece? Thereā€™s no fucking way 3 guys are going to smoke their way through 72oz in 2-3 months (the time itā€™ll take to get another grow done).

ā€œHigh quality weedā€ is almost entirely determined by the genes of the plant youā€™re growing. Get good seeds and half the job is done. You canā€™t get good weed out of shitty genes, but if you grow plants with good genes, any bud that grows is going to be good.

If you donā€™t have a green thumb then itā€™s obviously going to be hard, but it really isnā€™t that hard to grow if you just do a few things right. It grows prolifically across much of India and Pakistan without farming. The plant is hardy. Itā€™s not called ā€˜weedā€™ for nothing. IRT bugs: pyrethrin based sprays ($10 at a nursery) are made from plants and will keep away pretty much all bugs that like weed. There are a few that can eat it anyway, but those are rare and there are products available to get rid of those too.

Also curing is nothingā€¦ you realise itā€™s basically just leaving the stuff hanging to dry in a darkish room right?

Iā€™m not telling you or anyone to grow if they donā€™t want to, Iā€™m just pointing out that these places are taking their customers for a ride in terms of price. All the strains they sell you as weed are available as feminised seeds (you donā€™t want those males fucking up your sinsemilla).

Growing inside is obviously the best for controlling bugs and environment (like stopping those pesky males fucking your females) but youā€™ve gotta deal with cost of electricity and ventilation - plants grow stronger when put under slight strain and donā€™t like high temps which is why you always see a bunch of fans circulating air in grow rooms. LED grow lights have dramatically reduced the cost and effort required to set up a grow and allow you to alter the light composition easily, to trigger the various phases of growth.

PS: Anyone in CO wanna pay me me to come and grow their weed? :stuck_out_tongue:

Growing outdoors in the hot, dry climate of Arizona is not easy. Itā€™s killer. Also, do you know how expensive electricity for growing is? Itā€™s not free.

Growing is seriously not that easy. If it was, then more people would be doing it in Californiaā€¦ and yet they arenā€™t.

Iā€™ll refrain from ripping on AZ as I am known to do, but crappy outdoor conditions is the reason humans invented greenhouses.

LED grow lights have dramatically reduced the cost and effort required to set up a grow and allow you to alter the light composition easily, to trigger the various phases of growth.

And itā€™ still not free. You still have to drop a fair amount of money at the beginning. And you have to have the space. And then you are STUCK and have to take care and watch the plant. No more long vacations for you!

Growing is fine and dandy if you can swing it, but only a small amount of people ever will.

Brewing beer is even LESS of a hassle and yet most people arenā€™t going to go through the effort for much of the same reasons. The time and money just sinā€™t worth it for the large majority of people.

And greenhouses? I live in a tiny ass apartment, where the fuck am I and most people going to put a greenhouse? And who is going to pay for the materials? And who is going to do the building?

Growing marijuana is not the same as growing a freakinā€™ tomato.

$100 will buy you an LED grow light from china. Such a light would be ideal for growing in a closet or laundry.

How often do you take long vacations? How much time is there in between the vacations? Surely at least 2-3 months.

Like I said: Iā€™m not trying to convince you to grow if you donā€™t want to or donā€™t have the space, as Iā€™ve already admitted I personally donā€™t either. Iā€™d only grow if I knew my shit wasnā€™t going to be taken by asshole neighbours or cops, or if I had a bunch of space away from prying eyes, which I donā€™t.

Growing marijuana is not the same as growing a freakinā€™ tomato.

Please list the differences.

Have you seen weed grown without care? I have. Marijuana, if you want a nice looking, smelling, and proper plant, require actual care. Unless you have no standards in which case, carry on, but I prefer high-quality plants.

Why do you feel as if Iā€™m attacking you? Thereā€™s no need to attack me.

The look or ā€œpropernessā€ of a plant are inconsequential. Smell is determined by the genes and will be consistent as long as the plant has what it needs which is: Light, water, fresh air, trace nutrients which are in abundance in quality soil.

See this is why pot should be illegal. I bet those bugs just got even hungrier and devoured even more crops than they normally would have. Or worse - went on to infest and Oreo factory.

3 Likes

Weed itself seems completely independent of any coolness to me. Extremely so in many cases - the aspect of weed culture that tries to derive coolness from its outlaw/rebel status is pretty direly awful and lame, and does a great disservice to everyone else.

Itā€™s associated with things that are cool - artists and musicians chiefly - but to become cool in those circles takes more than weed (and doesnā€™t even require it to begin with).

This is probably the best, most cogent, well-thought-out comment Iā€™ve ever read in a forum discussion. You got my synapses firing, thank you.

Iā€™d add that your analysis is evidence that the 60s culturequake is actually having an effect via the now middle-aged children of that era.

1 Like

ā€˜This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrenderā€™

And for the rest of your post, let me just leave you this HELL YEAH

1 Like