A visit to a legal recreational marijuana store

This statement is so hilarious that I nearly spit fluids at the monitor. The worst that will happen to any bank is a piddling fine. See: recent history.

1 Like

TBH here in the Bay Area, the pot smokers at concerts are a serious fucking nuisance. Nobody would even THINK of lighting up a cigarette indoors any more, but the minute the show starts, the joints come out. Friends and I have given up on going to see some bands we really like (Beats Antique, Iā€™m looking at you) because coming home reeking with a migraine and an asthma attack just isnā€™t worth it. I donā€™t know why the hell venues donā€™t crack down.

Iā€™ve been to the show you describe. You should try a WILCO show sometime. Best crowd ever.

Thank you! I stole ā€œpretty hate machineā€ from Trent Reznor.

Geez, thank you!

Iā€™d add that your analysis is evidence that the 60s culturequake is actually having an effect via the now middle-aged children of that era.

For sure!

First album of the 90ā€™s, IMHO.

I stole my line also, to back up your point about generational impacts.

1 Like
2 Likes

I just tell the people around me, ā€œno no no, this will help you appreciate The Wiggles MORE!ā€

2 Likes

Depends upon the bug, really.

Iā€™ve not grown weed before (not currently legal where I live), but I have grown some ethnobotanicals ā€“ S.divinorum, B. caapi and the like ā€“ and as far as I can tell nothing works on whiteflies (which is really only is an issue for indoor growing). I tried lots of things (including naturals like Neem and Pyrethrins), and nothing worked. When I moved out of that house I had to sacrifice the plants to prevent them from coming to my new digs.

Also, I imagine that geography matters. Maybe in Australia there are different pests than, say, in the Ozarks.

Well, it Couldnā€™t make one appreciate them less.

(Thank goodness my kids are older now, but at least the Wiggles are head-and-smolders above Raffi.)

hmm interesting. Iā€™ll have to check out what a book I have at home says to do about them. It seems we do have them in Australia and this page deals with a few management techniques - the most effective of which seems to be its natural predators.

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/PestControlOrganic/Information/WhiteflyControl.html

I can see how it would be annoyingā€¦ maybe we need smokers sections? The way you do it, people, is to get paralytically blazed before you go inā€¦ That way youā€™ll only wanna smoke once if at all inside the venue.

At the risk of infuriating Boingers, SF and particularly the Bay Area seem like places I would have once loved to visit but are now so full of first world problem wannabe hippies that Iā€™d rather go someplace grimy like Seattle instead.

Iā€™ve had good success controlling white flies with dish soap and by growing companion plants that attract beneficial insects. Maybe Captain Jackā€™s will work, too? Puts the smack-down on tomato horn worm in a matter of hours, and thatā€™s not a tiny pest.

Iā€™m guessing that recreational use not being legal adds to that problem. Since cigarettes are legal, you can step outside and smoke a cigarette on the street with no fear of being hassled or arrested. Venues can even be comfortable with accommodating cigarette smoking customers even in places where indoor smoking is illegal by designating an outdoor area a smoking area and equipping it with ashtrays, seats, shelter on the legally permissible number of sides to still be considered outdoors, etc. But since pot is illegal, people donā€™t want to stand out in the open and the businesses canā€™t really openly create a space where the illegal activity is encouraged on their property (especially if they have a liquor license they need to protect).

And while the mileage may vary depending on the venues clientele, for a lot of venues, there are less people who will stop attending shows there because of the pot smokers than there are pot smokers who will be less likely to come back if they get kicked out for smoking weed after having paid for tickets. Yeah, the ones who were upset by being penalized for their behavior would be in the wrong, but whoā€™s wrong in principle doesnā€™t make it any better for the venue when they lose that customer and anyone else that the customer badmouths them to. It boils down to keeping the most customers happy and coming back. A crackdown on the pot smoking would alienate more customers than it would bring in.

Invisible Hand! Yay!

Which is what they said about the cigarette smoking ban too, but it didnā€™t happen.

Your point about pot smokers not feeling free to stand on the sidewalk is a fair one. However, last I heard, one didnā€™t have to smoke pot every few hours to tame the raging beast of addiction as cigarette smokers need to do.

Iā€™d say the super skunky weed people were smoking made The Knifeā€™s concert last night unpleasant, but the concert itself managed that quite nicely, unfortunately. The weed sure didnā€™t help though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.