A woman will replace Alexander Hamilton on the new US $10 bill

[Read the post]

1 Like

It’s been more than 100 years since the last women, Martha Washington and Pocahontas, were featured on US currency.

It has been seven years.

Also, Susan B Anthony before her.

8 Likes

Coins aren’t currency…

1 Like

Gee the Canadians have had a woman on ALL their currency for more than 60 years…

5 Likes

I heard that same “fact” during a radio news break this morning. Apparently a lot of people equate currency with paper money.

1 Like

…which is odd, becauise it doesn’t really matter what your money is made of. It might be prime numbers or hand-carved shells or finely-tuned Bose-Einstein condensates or clay tokens that say “goat.”

4 Likes

Better not let her be chosen by Internet poll or we’ll get one of the Kardashians. Just sayin’, people, don’t let that happen.

3 Likes

They shouldn’t be announcing first that it will be a woman. They should just be saying that they will pick a person who deserves the honor.

Then they should pick a woman who deserves the honor (I have insufficient of US history to say who that may be).

Doing it this way round is just asking for all the people who’ll say “they only picked her because she’s a woman, not because she deserves it” to get ready for the fight.

Can someone explain the reason why this is an issue in America now? There have been women on Austrian bank notes since the seventies, and now that we have the Euro and only get to design the reverse sides of our coins, the Austrian 1€ coin features Mozart while the 2€ coin featues Bertha von Suttner.

The thing is, I am not aware of there ever having been any controversy about the inclusion of women on the currency, and I am also willing to bet that 1970’s Austria was not more progressive than present-day America.

6 Likes

I’m hoping for Frances Perkins. She might not have the most name recognition but she truly deserves it.
Harriet Tubman is a bullshit choice. I’d be pissed if she got it. According to Wikipedia she “made about thirteen missions to rescue approximately seventy enslaved family and friends”. Frances Perkins did shit for the entire country not just her family and friends.

4 Likes

Sojourner Truth, perhaps?

4 Likes

Can we get a scientist? Or an engineer? Or at least an astronaut?

4 Likes

Yes. It is DEFINITELY winding some people up.

Think of all the harm those people are not doing with that time.

2 Likes

I still want Rosa Parks on the Dime.

As for the 10. I vote for anyone not named Ronald Reagan

4 Likes

My vote:

3 Likes

Harriet Tubman was a badass.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/tubman.html

2 Likes

To be fair, the Treasury announcement, if it can be called such a thing, says the new $10 bill “will feature” a woman. World class trolling: an image of Hillary pouring coffee for Bill.

2 Likes

Lot’s of good people to choose for the $10 but save Harriet Tubman for the $20 so we can call it the T-Dub.

6 Likes

If we had to replace one I’d prefer they replace Jackson… Hamilton started the treasury. Not that he was a saint either.

7 Likes