A work of art that reproduces 100 woodblock prints of Edo by artist Hiroshige

[Permalink]

3 Likes

An important correction: Edo is the older name of Tokyo, not Kyoto.
Kyoto has always been called Kyoto, at least going back to ancient times.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’ve corrected the headline and the copy.

1 Like

I’m still seeing it as Kyoto, not Tokyo on the headline and copy.

FWIW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto#Name

Never mind, it appears to have updated.

I also own this book and can confirm that it is gorgeous.

1 Like

I can also recommend Hiroshige’s collected kacho-ga prints, which I like even better than his other ukiyo-e.

1 Like

This looks amazing!

I’ve been watching Samurai Champloo (which is nominally set in the Tokugawa, though to a nicely anachronistic hip hop sound track), and it’s constantly referencing this style/era of art. Some of the minor characters are straight out of a painting from this period and there is a whole episode where Fuu becomes a model for a painter in this style.

Wow. $30? I think they just made a sale.

ETA: It will go well with my book on Katsushika Hokusai.

I finally found a really nice but cheap book on Mucha last month :o)

1 Like

Thank you! I just learned something.

I picked up a copy of the abridged Hokusai sketchbooks, the one that has a forward by James A. Michener, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art bookshop when I was 18 or 19 in the late '70s. It has what appears to be a similar style of binding and has gone through a few reprintings over the years. This Taschen volume on Hiroshige would make a great companion to it.

If anyone is passing through Narita airport you can pick copies of these types of prints for less than $20 – about ¥1200 I think. They’re not large – about A4 including a sizeable border but they’re beautiful. I don’t know how the blocks are produced but the prints are real wood block prints. A steal at that price even if they keep printing them till they run out of paper.

1 Like

I also own a copy of this book and it is indeed a treasure.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.