Relaxing video of traditional Japanese woodblock artist at work

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/26/relaxing-video-of-traditional-japanese-woodblock-artist-at-work.html

9 Likes

Nice!

There’s a great little woodblock print shop in Tokyo called Mokuhankan, run by a Canadian by the name of David Bull. Phenomenal carver.

Lots of videos on their YouTube channel showing Dave at work, and they also regularly do Twitch streams.

4 Likes

Hey, that is the guy who has done some of Jed Henry’s pop culture infused prints into actual wood block prints. I have this Boba Fett one, but it is just a Giclee print. He only have a handful of his designed carved into wood by David Bull.

I hadn’t seen his site, but that’s some great traditional work!

2 Likes

I do woodcut and linocut and Hasui Kawase is one of my absolute favorites. This is amazing!

I’m going to have to come back to this one :star_struck:

3 Likes

Show off some of your stuff, if you want!

2 Likes

I don’t have a lot of my cut prints updated, as there’s too much WIP lately, but I’ve got a couple at the bottom here: Artwork – The Eccentric Cog

I’m absolutely an amateur: an engineer that learned some more art skills so that I could work with visual folks and just… kept up as a hobby. I figure I deserve hobbies I am not concerned about being mediocre in.

5 Likes

I have these two woodblock prints:

Rickshaw cart.

The Hero Rests.

A few years back the inflight video heading to Japan had a documentary about the ukiyo-e Heroes series. So I headed to the shop, picked these two up, and even printed my own copy of the Hokusai wave at a print party (sadly they don’t do these any more).

Dave’s a lovely guy, very energetic and devoted to his craft. When he first moved to Japan in the '80s, he couldn’t get a master to take him on as an apprentice carver, so he taught himself carving. In the process he even rediscovered some techniques that had been lost over time - and now the industry artisans look up to him.

4 Likes

Some nice work! I have wanted to do some silk screen or other print making.

In college I did some lithograhs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.