ACLU publishes government snoops' "Suspicious Activity Reports"

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Do these ‘fusion centers’ recruit from HOA-horrorstory busybodies? Because those reports sound suspiciously similar, only with, y’know, guns and nigh-unlimited clandestine power…

3 Likes

“Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having
done anything truly wrong, he was arrested.” ― Franz Kafka, The Trial

7 Likes

Would very much love to know more about those. I suspect, for example, that the Middle Eastern doctor found his police officer neighbour to be rude and overly nosy.

5 Likes

God forbid you’re fucking unfriendly. It is dangerous to be introverted, shy or to mind your own business. Now we have to pass personality tests too? Why don’t they just replace all of the citizenry with empty-smiled Stepford wives and then we can all move past this.

Also this:

“Demonstration Against Law Enforcement Use of Excessive Force”:
“Reporting party received an e-mail that describes a scheduled protest
by an unknown number of individuals on July 7, 2012. The information
indicates the protestors are concerned about the use of excessive
force by law enforcement officers.”

I can’t even…

Thank you ACLU.

5 Likes

Somewhere somebody is composing a defense along the lines of “well all these data points get ingested into pattern finding models, and maybe 10 seemingly innocuous details reveal a real threat someday”. But based on the track record of these programs, it seems like if you keep loading up your databases with petty nonsense, nonsense is what comes out the other end.

10 seemingly innocuous details reveal a real threat

They always do… after the event.

How is this not the Stasi?

5 Likes

Fearing police beating is an indication that the police might need to beat you. Clearly.

7 Likes

“There is nothing more provocative than minding your own business.”
-William S. Burroughs, The Place of Dead Roads

4 Likes

Also, what kind of person turns in someone who wants to protest against police brutality?

3 Likes

I wish I could like this a hundred times.

2 Likes

simply put, Cops.

2 Likes

Mods, please look at the quantity and quality of conversations on BB before and after switching over to this forum technology. Boing Boing was a bustling city and now is more like a ghost town…

Please integrate a discussion forum that puts comments right in front of our eyes on the article page.

6 Likes

Suspicious? Go to any conservative blog and they are talking about killing their neighbors, race war, shooting cops, and building IEDs.

There’s plenty of that over Glenn Beck’s web site. That’s about as far down the ladder as I can go because I just can’t stomach stuff like Breitbart.

The weird thing is that these guys say things that are much much worse than straight up white supremacists, because white supremacists make some effort to blend into society.

1 Like

Should those of us remaining here be offended by that quality before and after comment?

Not to put too fine a point on it, I suspect that the doctor sensed the sergeant was a racist dickbag. That sort of thing is hard to keep to yourself.

3 Likes

Brutal police?

1 Like

Haha! No, you are among the few dedicated enough to kick-start the conversations. Without more people joining in, however, it often lacks the critical mass to become as dynamic and interesting as it used to be.

1 Like

Can’t recall whose decision it was to switch–Rob? Jason?–but it was a move in the right direction. Just hard to wait… (for mobile, nesting, etc.) On the plus side, kudus to the devs for implementing Discourse-hosted avatars so quickly! One step at a time.