Alesis M1 Active 520 Powered Studio Monitor: low-cost, high-end computer speakers

(In case anyone’s wondering: I’m a half-trained occasional live-sound tech who knows just enough about studio practice to know how much he doesn’t know, and who has sound tools that are smarter than he is.)

I am gonna buy some and install them in my pants.

1 Like

Hey, that sounds like me, (except for the training part, as in barely taught anything)! :wink: I’ve actually taken to listening to my favorite songs lately at a flat EQ just to try to hear what I’m missing. It’s obvious at this point I need classes on ducking, etc…

The best material I’ve found for these is straight up cardboard, oddly enough…

Install them on your bike helmet. You’ll be amazed!

Nope. Pants. So many feeeelzzzzzz.

1 Like

On the less expensive side, we’ve been very happy with these powered monitors from Monoprice. They have 5 in and 8 in versions for more money, too.

for the three inch version

Frequency Response 90Hz to 20KHz

not good at all. sure, you could pair it with a subwoofer, but stereo bass is sometimes important.

1 Like

I guess it kinda depends on what you’ll be listening to. My Mac connects to a small Topping “Class T” amp driving a pair of vintage Realistic Minimus loudspeakers. I’d be very surprised if they go below 90Hz. But they’re fine for listening to classical, jazz, vocal stuff + the occasional computer game or video. Very nice soundstage, clear & precise (to my ears) - for the price, of course. My son has the 3 in. Monoprice monitors and they seem pretty similar (maybe a bit more bass).

Now if you’re more into rock, hip-hop, etc… I could see why this might not be the best solution for you.

My current computer system is

audiosource amp-100
klipsch kb20

probably not the best use of my funds, but I had the audiosource for one project, and the kb20 were bought for a song on Black Friday.

Put them together and they sound awesome enough.

No true audiophile would ever use that phrase, of course. (Which proves they aren’t engineers, for whom “enough” is a way of life… and I think the evidence is that they aren’t scientists either.)

2 Likes

Kinda odd thing to say since for years now GarageBand has for all intents and purposes replaced the product line formerly known as Logic Express. Not sure if you just made a mistake here because otherwise I agree with what you said.

I’d take it even further that the Alesis product in question is really aimed more at folks who want powered computer speakers but it wouldn’t shock me at all to hear some really great music that was mixed on them despite this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.