Alopecia baldness cured with arthritis drug

[Permalink]

Ew, the red spots. :frowning:

1 Like

Like wise its imporatant to note that the drug in question is used to treat RA, which is an auto-immune disease. As is psoriasis. So it makes sense that it would effect auto-immune related Alopecia. RA is completely different than garden variety arthritis.

3 Likes

I should have noted the RAā€¦My psoriatic arthritis is pretty much like super RA (well anyoneā€™s is). It just means it has multiple areas that are attacked by the immune system and not just joints. And it sounds like this guy had the same thing.

Iā€™m just hoping for some kinda cureā€¦not of the arthritis and the lowered immune system that makes it like walking around with deliberately getting Aids and worrying about dying of infections (MRSA three times in the last few yearsā€¦working in a research lab attached to a hospital doesnā€™t help) or cancer from the drugs keeping me on my feet (chemo two years back to kill what was caught in the nick of time)ā€¦hell no. I need my hair back because I donā€™t want to be one of those sad guys that shave their head pretending it is a choice and growing a goateeā€¦why is it always a sad little goatee with these baldies??? I might be missing the middle portion of my hair, but damnā€¦it would be more pathetic doing the shaven routine. I need a damn cure!!!

3 Likes

I need my hair back because I donā€™t want to be one of those sad guys that shave their head pretending it is a choice and growing a goateeā€¦why is it always a sad little goatee with these baldies???  I might be missing the middle portion of my hair, but damnā€¦it would be more pathetic doing the shaven routine. I need a damn cure!!!

Wow, way to shit on a lot of people to make yourself feel better.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Soā€¦ wait, soā€¦ this powerful medication has an unexpected side effect in miceā€¦ so letā€™s just use it on this dude? Like, see what happens? And then afterward, oh yea, letā€™s apply for permission for human trials?

Am I missing something important in the ethical mix here?

I misread that as ā€œI want my back hairā€¦ā€

1 Like

I think thatā€™s the way medicine usually works.

Actually, this is one problem I donā€™t have. If I could just get the hair on my back migrated to the scalp, life would be AWESOME.

1 Like

Yes, the drug was already FDA approved, so the safety studies have all been done. Prescribing an existing drug ā€œoff labelā€ is done frequently.

3 Likes

Did I hit too close to home! You do realize most of this is a joke! I realize this is the official uniform of men in denial about the natural progress of age, but one would think that the rest of my post would have noted that maybe me wanting to take drugs without care of side effects would be a little more pathetic!

Any of us that worry about how we look based on natural aging is pathetic. And yet, I know it is entirely human to do it anyways. Honestly, I use to think women that got implants were patheticā€¦and yet now that Iā€™m losing hair, I completely understand. Life would be easier to just admit that we are getting olderā€¦and truthfully, anytime you see any man with a shaved head and a goatee, the first thing anyone thinks is ā€˜I bet he was balding and decided to take it all offā€™. It isnā€™t like it looks any betterā€¦it is just the official uniform of guys losing their hair.

2 Likes

I guess thatā€™s why Iā€™m not a doctor.

2 Likes

Since about 20 most of my head hair (starting in the front and top) has been systematically marching down my back and southward, taking up residence along the way. I donā€™t think I have less hair than I did fifteen years agoā€¦itā€™s just more spread out now.

1 Like

I am and thatā€™s part of the crap that goes with the job. I couldnā€™t practice properly without off-label prescribing and relying on the fact that a ā€œā€¦responsible body of medical opinionā€¦ā€ supports the way I use those drugs.

2 Likes

What was that about bald men with sad goatees?

but seriously, autoimmune illnesses are brutal. I hope a cure does come your way. Living with friendly fire is no way to live, but it sounds like working in the lab youā€™re making the sacrifice to make the difference.

1 Like

Heh! This is EXACTLY what Iā€™m talking about. Its the milquetoastā€™s idea of how to look like a man and followed to a T by every man that doesnā€™t think he looks like a man any more!

Iā€™m not saying that I wonā€™t eventually give in to this, but damnā€¦Iā€™m trying to put it off for another couple years. Right now, my comb over doesnā€™t look THAT bad! Next year? Who knows! When I start comparing myself to Christian Bale in American Hustle? Yeahā€¦I may do the Heisenberg. Then again I could just go this route:

As for the lab, the only other thing I know how to do other than science is to look like an idiot on stage. 40 year old dudes donā€™t get called up for Top 40 any more and Iā€™m not interested in legacy acts.

1 Like

I think in this case thereā€™s additional safety research being done because the drug was approved for a lower dosage than is required for the new application.

Good point, if so. I didnā€™t read that closely. (Although I did notice they accelerated the dosage part way through.)

Dude, a combover ALWAYS looks bad, no matter what you think.
You are not fooling anyone.