America outdoes itself with not one but two school shootings in a single day

So who gets to decide who is allowed to live and who has to die? the one with the biggest gun? Fuck that.

That’s exactly what you are trying to do. “it was a fight that got out of hand so it’s fine that some people died. SUX TO B THEM”

Well so far you have hardly shone in that respect

I don’t know, and I don’t claim to know. I’m not a journalist. If it were up to me, they would all be reported in as much detail. Maybe then the message would start getting across.

… so you’re NOT aghast at the thought of more than one shooting per day?

I can live without your movie tips, thanks.

It seems unusually quiet.

1 Like

For all the hyperbole of “gun fondlers” … isn’t it beholden on you rational gun owners, you safe and responsible gun owners, to retake the NRA and reframe the debate?

Because non-gun owners have got fuck-all chance of doing that. And that really needs to be done.

5 Likes

Well, your theory is debunked because now you know me. I own some guns and I feel strongly about gun control, which I’ve outlined at length in this thread and others.

3 Likes

Read: he is descended form slave-owners and continues to reap the benefits of forced human labour. And that is exactly the problem and the source of the NRA. The second amendment was written to allow patrols in the south to shoot escaped slaves. the NRA in the US is nothing but an organisation designed to further violent racism. That is the only way in which they stay close to the original intent of the second amendment.

Thank you for summing it up so clearly.

Which is a trivial process for the “mentally ill”, amirite?

4 Likes

Clearly not…

Walmart is not where to look.

Those types have already moved online.

No. You go to Walmart for hew country cds…

O RLY?

Same here, as much as people paint me as a hater.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to present to you, the latest and greatest in willful ignorance, ad hominem, and strawmen.

1 Like

OK

2 Likes

it seems worth pointing out that not only does Switzerland have vastly more legal controls on gun ownership than the United States, but also in Switzerland most of the adult population has been through military service and have something like one year’s minimum military service and thus high-level training in combat and of course firearm safety.

You can wave that away as ‘culture’ but Switzerland manages to have so many guns and so few shootings because they understand you can’t just hand them out to anyone and hope everything will be fine. I can’t see how Switzerland is anything other than an example of why strict gun regulation is important.

I’d even go so far as to say that it’s intellectually lazy to point at Switzerland and shrug, “they have guns but nobody dies, what can you do?” If you really want to compare the US to CH, the US is going to need to try a whole fucking lot harder.

4 Likes

I disagree with your position on how to address the problem of gun violence, but it’s largely an academic affair that can be discussed civilly. Which, to their credit, most people seem to be doing with you.

The people you think are behaving like assholes, are indeed behaving like assholes. Smug and immature ones at that.

I don’t disagree, but the current militia system in Switzerland is not comparable to, say, the 1970s. Today only a little bit more than the half of every age-group are drafted; the rest is rejected as unfit (not that hard to achieve) or chooses the alternate civilian service.

Sure, I understand the going rate to skip service is about 2000 swiss francs a year depending on your income, which a lot of young professionals can afford. I don’t really know what conclusions you can draw from that in a comparison to the US though; murder rates in both countries are declining, maybe for different reasons or maybe not. I would think as well that any effect of reduced military service on civilian gun use would take a couple more generations to show through, the youth may not themselves be serving but they’ve still been raised in households with an M16 safely locked away and a trained serviceman who knows how to use it with proper respect and care.

In Switzerland, you’re either well trained with firearms, you have friends who are well trained with firearms, or you are actively paying two grand a year for the privilege of not having to handle firearms. You can look at conscription as an extreme form of gun regulation, where you actively make everyone go through gun training and penalize them if they don’t. It may not be for everyone but it’s a whole lot better than poor or no regulations.

1 Like