The US has suffered 128 mass shootings in only 86 days

Originally published at: The US has suffered 128 mass shootings in only 86 days | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

15 Likes

Like watching a slow motion natural disaster unfold, except it’s mostly, if not almost entirely preventable.

Yay for the USA :frowning_face:

12 Likes

Before those with “alternate theories” for why this keeps happening in America arrive with their usual BS, here’s the answer: too much easy access to too many powerful firearms.

17 Likes

I was in a Reddit thread where folk were discussing how schools gave them a hard time for wearing trenchcoats or “gang affiliation” post-columbine. Over here we banned handguns the last time one was used in a mass school shooting, in the 90s.

Its so sad.

18 Likes

I was living outside the US when Columbine happened. My best friend (non-USian) and I were talking about gun control and he just said “No, they’ll just ban trench coats”

Of course he was right.

I sometimes regret not staying in Europe.

21 Likes

Until common sense prevails, the only effective way to prevent school shootings is to ban in-class instruction and revert back to remote learning, physical learning and peer interaction is too dangerous otherwise. ( 1/2 /s 1/2 /serious )

The number of school shootings was at its lowest point during the height of COVID and the corresponding social distancing/quarantine protocols.

8 Likes

The goal of all of this for at least one political party is to end public education.

13 Likes

Sadly it isn’t anything so nefarious and intentional. The goal is to identify and exploit opportunities to demonstrate tribal loyalty. One common way is to repeat obvious nonsensical falsehoods in the context of objective fact (i.e. guns protect people).

2 Likes

i think that’s wrong on two fronts.

for one, undermining objective truth isn’t simply about loyalty, it’s also to erode people’s sense of world ( see also: 1984. )

and while that is intentional and nefarious enough, regarding schooling…

yes: ever since schools were desegregated white conservatives have been trying to end public education. one way is to make them hostile and dangerous places where armed police are necessary.

most aren’t rubbing their hands in glee at each new school shooting, but they’re also not beyond using school shootings to further their agenda in everyway. and that includes adding more guns, more police, etc into the mix

8 Likes

5 Likes

I’ve got colleagues in Nashville. One of them has a 3yo daughter. They’re understandably anxious about the whole situation. The pace of mass shootings has been accelerating. How long can things go on like this?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.