Amulet: amazing, adventurous kids' graphic novels have everything to love

[Permalink]

1 Like

But when is book six coming out?!?! My son is bouncing off the walls waiting.

Good callout, Kazu is insanely talented, I have Amulet vol 1 around somewhere, really must get around to getting the other 4. Readers may also enjoy;

His far too short but free online webcomic Copper
http://www.boltcity.com/copper/

Daisy Kutter (now available again after wildly successful kickstarter reprinting) - google it cause I ran into link allowance limit

And my personal favourite, the multiple artist short form graphic stories flight anthology
http://www.flightcomics.com/preview.htm
(why are half the links on the flight anthology site broken? anyway search for it on amazon…)

1 Like

Do you have to read them from the back of the book going forwards or have they been translated for a western readership?
I’m afraid I’ve been reading left to right for so long that I find anything where time’s arrow is apparently moving backwards oddly difficult.

Amulet is not manga.

My bad. I was reading an article on manga elsewhere and there’s obviously some manga influence to the art style, must have put two and two together and made seventeen.

Give them to her now! My daughter is a week older than Poesy and she has read and loves the series.

Ahhh, love this series! I’m disappointed in this article, only because I thought at first it meant that the next book is here :wink:

Edit: So I checked (Why do I never remember to check things BEFORE hitting submit?) and it looks like August…

Kazu is the best!

I happened across Amulet in a local bookstore, which is the only place I’ve seen it.

While fans wait for Amulet #6, they might like to watch out for another YA graphic tale: ‘Gunnerkrigg Court’ by Tom Siddell. This covers the adventures of two schoolgirls living in a rather peculiar and secretive enclave in a mythago-like wood somewhere in England. A glib description might be ‘Hogwart’s for girls’ but that’s a bit like calling ‘Amulet’ manga.

While I don’t think Siddell’s artwork is as refined as Kazu’s, it is still very good and has improved immensely since the beginning. The storyline is every bit as intricate, with the tone varying from light humour to occasional heavy drama.

I had to quote that since it’s so rare today to see anyone advocating individual mindfulness rather than age-limit mindlessness. I’ve known twelve-year-olds who were less emotionally mature than the average six-year-old, yet more intellectually capable than the average college freshman. Age limits are arrant nonsense. Good on yer, Cory!

PS: I love Amulet too, but Miyazaki’s masterpiece, Totoro, is appropriate for any age or level of maturity.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.