Ant-Man, the Physics of Shrinking, and the Higgs Boson

[Read the post]

“How Ant-Man accomplishes this… perhaps there are some questions into which science should not look too closely.”

The last time I was in the presence of Mr. Pym I noticed he had the most awful, acrid body odor. As a supervillain, I was offended.

3 Likes

When he pours the formula down the drain, wouldn’t it shrink the drain, thereby clogging it up?

Ant man? Does he know how much really tiny atoms cost?

1 Like

Perhaps the electrical potential created by his mitochondria in his flexing muscles regulates the strength with which he is coupled to the Higgs field?
His mass wouldn’t change except along the lines of force created by his muscles…?

No-prize please.

1 Like

I wonder if I should dig out my neural network /chemotaxis project from uni?

If you think too much about the physics of Ant-Man, you will go insane. This is not hard (as in solid) science fiction. It’s much closer to the fantasy side of the superhero spectrum.

And scuba gear 'cause you have to bring your own shrimpy air molecules?

RIP: Unfortunately Ant-Man’s career as a super hero was cut short after his encounter with a few Ophiocordyceps spores.

2 Likes

So the Higgs field is ether and it’s density determines mass.What effects the density of ether? If all atoms have a similar size but a variable mass then how could you stuff so many atoms into a black hole and make it really fucking heavy but not all that big? I’m not disputing the phisiks or the math (being a dunderhead) but I really would like to understand the concept. In my world squashing stuff makes it heaver and smaller. If squashing it only makes it heaver where do you put all that bigness.

I’d imagine the pressures at the centre (or, in fact, anywhere within the event horizon) of a black hole are a little stronger than those typically found in the centre of the earth.

Basically (as I understand it): when they talk about the “size” of an atom, they’re including the electron cloud. The nucleus within that cloud is tiny in comparison, so much of it is “empty space,” but the electron cloud creates a positively-charged magnetic field. Electromagnetism, at close range, is usually a lot stronger than gravity, so the positive charges of the two atoms’ respective electron clouds keep those clouds from overlapping.

However, when there are (literally) massive gravitational forces at work, those forces can press the atoms together closer than they’d really like to be.

So its like a couple of magnets when you push them together,they get close and closer
so gravity reduces the size of the atoms by forcing the electrons into a tighter orbit
but your talking about empty space,so there is a place where there really is nothing?
I thought that the Higgs thing meant that there was no empty space, Like hydrology
I do much better with not understanding math.

I’m not a particle physicist, so take my explanations with a whole heaping of salt. I’m not so familiar with the Higgs field, so the “empty space” comment was probably wrong. There is, however, a large area between the nucleus and the “edge” of the atom where the only particles are electrons.

As to whether the electron clouds overlap within the confines of a black hole, or contract so that they don’t overlap… That’s a good question, and I haven’t the foggiest.

I don’t think overlap could be possible it seems like there always has to be a space for an atom to remain being that kind of atom. I’m grateful for your effort and the fact that I still don"t have a clue won’t be held against you.I just finished this book by Max Tegmark about multiverse-es which I didn’t understand it but got it
This phisics stuff just bounces off I try to picture it and there is this point where I hit a wall.
annoys the fuck out of me.

Thanks

A wizard did it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.