Ariel Castro, who held 3 women captive in Cleveland, kills self in cell

Ahh. The requisite droll, topical, “witty” comment.

Glitch, if someone did kill him, then they deserve to be tried for the crime.

I agree. But if that is the case, I think such an outcome is highly unlikely.

I don’t disagree with your box of explosives assertion. The military machine makes money.
It’s not simply a case of retribution for wrongs, although promoting outrage helps to approve those actions. Killing people in other places has to do primarily with assets and interests and money. Greed is not necessarily borne of neglect. Most times, it is the opposite. It stems from having everything and then feeling entitled to it at all costs.

While I honestly don’t wish torture on anyone (even those who torture others) the reality is not everyone has the same potential and not everyone is capable of existing in society without posing a threat to others.

I get what you are saying, but really…

we are just not all the same.

And that is not an argument for my own superiority. To be perfectly frank, if I thought I was a risk for raping people I would honestly shoot myself in good conscience (speaking only for myself here).

1 Like

And that’s why we have a justice system.

That’s not what I was saying.

I actually care quite a bit more about the people who can’t even watch the news because they’re unable to understand how we can bear it.

For those of us in the middle, we become most dangerous when we dehumanize others. It should be socially unacceptable. The only people who should be thinking about him at all are those who are directly dealing with him. Prisons aren’t supposed to be horror-zoos for our entertainment.

For those on the other end, our screwed up society gives them too many advantages before they’re caught, and does a mad 180 when they are. Sure, they may be the hardest to save in any context that involves integrating into society, no argument there.

But don’t you see? For the rest of us, how we react helps show us where we’re going (awesome or astray) The more of us who can’t hate like that, the better the world gets.

1 Like

For someone with as little empathy to do what he did, suicide was probably his last ditch effort to regain control of the situation.

6 Likes

I find it funny that so many people calling for “reflection” seem to have so little respect for the reality of other people’s emotional states or past experiences.

If you have patience and compassion for people who commit the most atrocious of crimes but don’t have the same patience for people who get angry about it… your words are meaningless and your sentiment is shallow at best.

10 Likes

I’m sorry, but to be perfectly honest as some one who was told to be quiet and not make trouble with almost the same words when I was a victim of a crime, I’m going to ask you to please consider that you are actually as much of an insipid ass as people are gently suggesting.

Please reflect peacefully on that, and consider that between you and I there is no “we” to speak of.

13 Likes

False analogy, as the people who vent their aggression didn’t die and aren’t in danger of getting prison-raped with the approval of law-abiding citizens.

2 Likes

There’s no analogy. I am not saying people do deserve to get prison raped or should kill themselves to avoid their sentences. I’m saying that feeling that way is perfectly valid, and is a part of what it means to be human. And people get raped absolutely every day with the approval of law abiding citizens whether or not they have committed a crime. If any analogy is false here, it is one that suggests this is not the case.

I don’t actually feel bad for this guy, but I don’t feel gleeful either. There are lots of things that go on. For instance, when you hurt somebody you also are a witness to that in the most intimate way possible.

It must actually be terrifying to confront that, because who knows better than you what it means to be a victim?

3 Likes

Point taken, but thoughts fly in so many directions, too many variables to contemplate.

Along the one about being able to keep people abducted for years with nobody the wiser.

We should be making sure society nurtures its’ own during the crucial, formative years.

Humanity pays a bad enough price by keeping mere narcissistic personalities around.
Hell, the system is rigged in their favor.

2 Likes

But in the end Gollum killed himself too.

2 Likes

See, now you’re getting personal.

And I’m not sure where this leap you made came from. Nobody said it was okay for somebody to commit a crime, did they? That it was okay to hurt somebody? To betray a trust? That it was okay if you were hurt? ANYTHING?

No, no, I never have and never would say something like that.

However, there ARE people who are creating new pains right now because of some imagined connection . The only people who have the RIGHT to care about him at that level are the people who were impacted directly by what he did.

Look at you, you made up a reason to insult me, didn’t you? You hardly know me, and you’ve clearly not analyzed what I’ve said respectfully (though I have done that for you)

Perhaps the insult is. . . misplaced?

4 Likes

I’m not a death penalty proponent either, but this is the kind of guy who REALLY tests my convictions.

2 Likes

Passive aggressive concern troll wants you to know this ad hominem attack is meant for your own good.

5 Likes

Ariel’s last words before he was found dead
“WHERE WALLACE AT, STRING?”

There are evil people in the world who do evil things to others and so need to be removed to protect the rest of us, our children, our loved ones. I find it hard to mourn this man’s unredeemed potential. He lost his right to sit at the table with the rest of the human family when he did what he did to those women. Game over.

7 Likes

People are cheap, we just don’t have to give them power is all.

assuming he’d languish there for 35years he just saved the state of ohio $904,000+

3 Likes