Astounding card magic from Penn and Teller's Fool us

It’s not about beating it but about enhancing it. I think this video is pertinent.

2 Likes

Dr. Feynman, of course, had a point, but I don’t agree that it applies here. To me, the main difference is in following the rules of the experience. You wouldn’t have had a slow-motion recording available to you if you were watching the performance directly. Why resort to it now? That is the primary objection I have. I’ve always appreciated Penn and Teller revealing the magic sauce in their trick – because they did it in a way that did not detract from the experience of the trick. You can watch the explanation and go right back and re-watch the trick.

There is also the question of intent: The performer’s intent is to deceive you. The audience’s intent is, ultimately, to be deceived. The trick disassembler’s intent is to remove that veil of deceit. I hope no one’s going to argue that flowers have an intent to not have anyone examine their cellular structure.

I consider a magic performance to be akin to a chess game: It’s a great deal of fun to play against someone close to your level. It’s also enjoyable and educational to play against someone far above your level. But resorting to slow-motion video, multiple camera angles, and so on, is like sneaking an extra handful of queens onto the board. Sure, you’ll probably win. But will you have fun?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.