Aussie politician calls rival a "c*nt" in Parliament, gets away with it

No its generally taboo, but in certain settings, say footy, building sites, the members bar at old parliament house, it occupies a significant percentage of conversation.

And from a man whoā€™s anything but a cunning linguist.

1 Like

I like to refer to the Bundy militia as ā€œa bunch of stupid twats,ā€ but thatā€™s mocking their cartoonish hypermasculinity rather than any animosity towards women.

ā€œTwitsā€ wouldnā€™t work as well? I know it lacks the same punch, but delivering that punch with the other word comes at the cost of perpetuating the life of a sexist slur.

It seems to be much milder in Spanish; I once heard a (female) coworker call our (male) boss ā€œcoƱoā€ when she was asked a question - Iā€™d probably translate it as ā€œListen, ā€¦ā€ in that context as it didnā€™t even seem to be seen as impolite (just informal).

No, but he is a master debater.

Maybe I watch too much parliament (my wife would probably say I do), but itā€™s astonishing how people can watch this video clip and not see what is actually happening.

Firstly, Pyne referred to the Leader of The Opposition by his name (Bill Shorten), which is unparliamentary. The Manager of Opposition Business then got up to object to that, but the Speaker had already spotted it and sat him down so that she could direct Pyne to use the proper forms of address.

Pyne makes his controversial comment in between the Speaker telling the Manager of Opposition Business to sit down and her telling Pyne to refer to ministers by their proper titles. Her direction to Pyne was about him saying ā€œBill Shortenā€, not anything else.

Do people really think that if the Speaker (and therefore the Opposition Leader and probably some of the Opposition front bench) had heard Pyne call Shorten a cā€“t that she would have calmly asked him to withdraw and everyone would have left it at that? Anyone who thinks that hasnā€™t watched much parliament.

Look, people can disagree on what Pyne said. Itā€™s one of those things where if you watch it thinking heā€™s saying grub, it sounds like he is, and if you think heā€™s saying cā€“t it sounds like he is. What we have here is a mondegreen:

But if you want to believe that Pyne really said cā€“t, then you have to also believe that NO ONE heard him say it other than the microphone. Otherwise the video makes no sense

1 Like

Not around my parts and itā€™s still THE taboo word with everyone I know. You sometimes hear the bogans screaming it at each other drunk and falling over themselves in the street but I assume theyā€™re the same people who voted for this terrible government so it kind of makes sense.

Iā€™ve had a lot of friends listen to this, and in some cases told them heā€™s saying ā€˜grubā€™ and theyā€™ve burst into laughter because it really doesnā€™t sound like ā€˜grubā€™ at all. Did he get away with it? Bishop is a terribly biased speaker (I too watch far, far too much Question Time) so I donā€™t think there was much danger of her being too harsh. The microphones pick up directly what the immediate person speaking says and not so much of the ambient noise (they can virtually shut off the sound to individual members) so it isnā€™t that surprising that other people couldnā€™t hear what he said when it is clear to us listening at home.

Now, Iā€™m not saying he absolutely, certainly used that word that upsets my wife terribly, but it does sound an awful lot like it and at the moment, and considering the little creep that he is, Iā€™m prepared to make a judgement that he did, indeed, say the word. And if he didnā€™t then, no doubt he was thinking something worse, sorry I have no sympathy for Pyne in any circumstances.

Calling Bill Shorten a cunt is the truest thing Christopher Pyne will say this year.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.