Awful Song Thread!

You. Can. DO IT!!!

1 Like

A bunch of my workmates and I burned up a five hour flight layover one time on the topic “Songs that the rest of the world and music critics think are great, but which you CAN’T STAND.”

“Hey Jude” was easily the winner, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” finished a couple of lengths back.

I’ve been trying to decide which song to post here. There is only one that always comes to the forefront, so perhaps if I post that one it will clear my brain for others to percolate. I, too, was forced to listen to a tape loop at one of my teen jobs, and actually most of the songs, when listened to three, four, five times a day were just fine, but THIS song - THIS song is not.

1 Like

If we start concentrating on that decade this thread is going to drag on a very long time!

3 Likes

You don’t need to concentrate on the '60s to achieve that - bad music is a constant in any period, and there’s so much of it. :smile:

1 Like

From the recent AUS v ARG rugby match comes this version of the Australian national anthem. The tactic of mumbling the words you don’t know only really works if you’re not hooked up to the PA system. Good voice, though.

On the other hand, there was this moment:

2 Likes

Man, I could post hours of stuff here.
This’ll do for now. Ouch!

1 Like

Awful song or sadistic torture device: You decide.

And as I saw Technohead further up, I thought I’d add this:

1 Like

Just the first part of this. The cover of Shout starts at 1:57 and is pretty good.

This sounds like something that would be used in the soundtrack for Cowboy Bebop. Or maybe FLCL. And this is way too good to be here. I could even listen to the whole thing.

Another Australian crime against humanity:

This is a celebrated song down here. >.<

1 Like

I used to love this song as a little kid. Until I figured out that what I actually liked was EDM. Not this song specifically. I grew up in a household where the only music I was allowed to listen to was my mom’s christmas CDs, and in the off season Christian music radio, and my mom’s Kenny G. collection. This was the 1990s. I can’t believe it didn’t completely destroy my ability to appreciate music generally. But I guess water in the desert tastes sweeter.

1 Like

I love those songs! I have great memories of my earliest rave days that were powered by Shooting Star and Heart of Gold! Of course I probably have ear diabetes now. I still grind my teeth a little hearing these now. Probably has less to do less with the music than the great times I had when I was active on the scene.

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure I guess. The hixxy track at least plays around with Amen

It’s like they forgot to put it through the autotune filter … >.<

At least the sound engineer had the good sense to bury the vocals under a couple layers of synthpoop.

911 is a Joke … by Duran Duran

5 Likes

Thankfully, James May had enough integrity to reject autotune for his composition.

3 Likes

Not a contender for this thread, but I really love SwedeMason’s Clarkson mash-up.

3 Likes

No worries. We gave the world Céline Dion. <sigh>

2 Likes