Best matcha, OCD luggage, supreme WiFi router, wireless AC outlet (Gadgets 003)

[Permalink]

1 Like

Our company has tried both the Asus RT68-U and the Netgear N7000 (the two top of the line, AC1900 class, consumer routers on Small Network Builder[1]) for both office and factory operations with both stock and DD-WRT[2] firmwares.
Our initial preference was to lean towards the Asus given their track record on OpenWRT for the past few years. If your last experience with flashing a routerā€™s firmware was with the Linksys WRT-54G back in 2004 than you may have missed out on all the Asus development that happened in the past decade.
We found the Netgear N7000 performed better overall. We were reluctant to use it as it did not support Dual-WAN mode initially like the Asus on stock firmware. (I.e. primary Comcast internet, secondary Verizon MiFi usb adapter.)
We recently updated both routers to [Kong]'s firmware mod of DD-WRT[3] and now the Netgear N7000 blows everything out of the water.
At our factory we are concurrently connecting 50 previously unassociated WiFi devices every 30 seconds and the dual-core 1Ghz Netgear just keeps on trucking with no problems. Our Asus meanwhile will crash about once a day.
Going forward we will stick with the Netgear. It seems to have become the ā€˜defaultā€™ router on the DD-WRT community, with support for other routers being forks off the N7000 code. Linksys just came out with a new 1.2Ghz quad-channel router but given Linksys has long no longer been ā€˜Linksysā€™ been ā€˜Ciscoā€™ been ā€˜Belkinā€™ been Marvell, I donā€™t anticipate it superseding the throne despite the sweet throwback black and blue livery.

[1]http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/322ā€¦
[2]In broad strokes, DD-WRT is like a nice, easy to install, easy to configure version of OpenWRT. If you previously preferred using Tomato to OpenWRT this is for you. OpenWRT is when you really want ring-zero console access only with no amenities out of the gate.
[3]http://tips.desipro.de/ - [Kong] made some modifications to DD-WRT to work better with the new AC-1900 class routers. They are fast becoming the master branch.

3 Likes

Thank you. Thats awesome info. I use the NetGear R7000 for home use and do not have dual gateways, firmware updates to increase range would always be interesting, however. I assume range is most hardware and space limited?

You do realize that the dive light is $799 NOT $7.99. I wanted to buy one just to explore my backyard but thatā€™s a little pricey (though Iā€™m sure itā€™s worth it for divers).

What about cheap matcha? I havenā€™t listened to the audio yet, butā€¦ I am a disgusting being who enjoys ā€œgreen tea lattesā€ and putting green tea in smoothies, and such usages require no sophistication.

#.01%

Maya, there is nothing disgusting about enjoying a green tea latte or spiking smoothies with antioxidant rich matcha. There are traditional ways to make specific teas and enjoy them & they are great guidelines for introducing yourself to vatious types of tea. I firmly believe that the right way to prepare tea is the way you enjoy drinking it.

Now, the matter of what kind of matcha to add to your smoothies. You would not want to add a high grade matcha to a smoothie. The higher the grade the more complex and often subtle the flavors. When using matcha as an ingredient in a beverage or food you want bold, strait forward taste. That is something you will get from a lower grade or cooking grade matcha. Luckily, these grades are less expensive, so you can use them liberally in smoothies or ice cream, soup, salad dressingā€¦let your imagination go wild here.

While I can whisk a beautiful frothy bowl of matcha with the best of them, instead of plain water being my hydration choice of the day, I shake up matcha, ice and water then sip on that all day. Kind of disgusting looking, but delicious and refreshing.

Aw, come on, isnā€™t it at least a little fun to be picky and prescriptive about tea preparation? :wink: Do you have any recommendations about where to procure lower/cooking grade matcha, though? I live in the middle of nowhere, where the grocery store makes available one horribly overpriced kind which Iā€™m pretty sure they bought in the 90s and havenā€™t restocked since then.

I agree with you. Itā€™s great fun to get immersed in various tea preparations and ceremonies. I do it whenever I can. Freshness is essential regardless of the grade of matcha you purchase. It should be a crazy vibrant green, not mossy or (gag) brown. How far in the middle of nowhere are you?

Other trustworthy brands are Aiya & AIO, that can both be procured on line. If you donā€™t drink a lot of it, stay away from the 100g bag. It will oxidize before you can enjoy all of it. Start with the cans, so you get the benefits so the freshness. Some companies like Rishi offer boxes of individual portions of matcha and maltodextrin or sugar to add to smoothies etc. That might be another choice for you.

Iā€™m not a tea drinker and donā€™t need network gear, but it was a pleasure listening to geeks wonk over gadgets.

Iā€™d like to hear Xeni talking about her sauerkraut making gear.

1 Like

Thatā€™s inexpensive. Middle of nowhere with neither dojo nor cancer center nor accomodating chinese grocer; surely tea and smokers grow well there. Let me know what you go grind up that better suits taking the murder out of a brandy alexander (ice cream, brandy, creme de cacao, maybe blend with crushed ice) or root beer float though, andā€¦really, a medium roast coffee latte with green tea in it?

So would I! Having had Xeni show up with jars of kraut, it is worth learning how to make it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.