Big gallery of toy cigarettes and pipes for kids

[Permalink]

I always liked the (red) licorice pipes:

(also loved the normal candy cigs – especially the bubble-gum ones because you could blow out a couple puffs of sugar smoke)

5 Likes

Seem to remember the Superman cigarettes being on sale around the same time as the Superman anti-smoking campaign. Never trusted Supes after that…

2 Likes

Great gallery, it makes me wonder how the current advertising/branding of energy drinks will be viewed in 50 years.

This could lead to the kid developing a taste for something: smoking or being “that kid”1

1the kid that eats paste in class

1 Like

They were great on those cold days when you could see your breath.

1 Like

We used to “smoke” pretzels sticks on cold days.

1 Like

The fat pretzels were cigars.

2 Likes

A buddy of mine was hooked on those and I said “Just wait, that stuff will be like Fen-Phen for the brain!”

But I remember the smoking Scotty dogs! They blew smoke rings!

1 Like

We never had the pipes! We had red pennies and red fish. I remember going to the Planet Of The Apes Saturday matinee. There was a news stand / tobacco shop next door with a billiards room downstairs, and we’d go to the news stand to load up on candy before the movie. I recall losing a baby tooth at the matinee in a red penny.

2 Likes

What on earth is Jacques Tati (M. Hulot) doing here? His lost Bond film?

4 Likes

Put that kid on the patch.

2 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

Hey, who wouldn’t want their kids to emulate this guy:

5 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

And a packet of cigarettes: you put one in your mouth and you stood at the corner of the street and you waited for hours, in vain, for an old lady to scold you for smoking a cigarette, and then with a smirk you ate it.
-Dylan Thomas, A Child’s Christmas In Wales

Of course it wasn’t long before he moved on to the real thing, just as intended.

1 Like

For the first time in 30 years, last Sunday I saw candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigars on sale in a store. Maybe vice is making a comeback.

But inquiring minds want to know why no one has ever marketed candy vodka. Sugar water in a bottle eems like a no brainer.

2 Likes

Me and my brothers…

3 Likes

The independent convenience store in the town I live in still sells candy cigarettes, but the packaging has been change so that no mention of cigarettes is to be found. I guess that sometimes a “Lucky Spike” is just a candy stick…