Black ASU prof beaten by campus cops without provocation, charged with assault

What you describe is, I believe, the very reason for a jury of 12 peers and private jury deliberations.

At least 8% of humanity has a conscience. And the other 11 will usually listen to reason, when the heat of the moment has passed.

I, for one, hope the officers lose their pensions, as well.

1 Like

That moment when light dawns on marblehead, and you can see that you’re complaining about what you’re doing

1 Like

@AcerPlatanoides @Cowicide @bwv812 Stop baiting each other. This is getting old and boring.

5 Likes

It’s not the matter of who is at fault, the problem is that the cops were not working with the citizen but against. The point of getting people off the street is safety, but it is obvious they were enforcing the law for the sake of power.

9 Likes

Falcor, please add me to the list of people on this board that no longer wants any contact with this troll. Thanks.

Like others here, I’ve had enough of bwv812’s personal attacks and general trolling. For example:

Edit: Thank you for deleting that particular example of bwv812’s trolling.

2 Likes

Yes. I mean, how do most people go to work each day? Do people go to work saying, “I’m gonna arrest me some people tonight!” ??? Or do people go to work saying, I’m going to try to make the world a better place, get through it without unnecessary roughness, do some good. ???

These cops’ superiors are to blame for this. I’m not removing blame from the cops themselves. Them too. But their superiors reinforced this ethos of antagonism in their force.

Oh sure, they’ll start with saying, “After internal review, these cops did nothing wrong.” I think they already did that step.

Then the campus gets outraged and the ASU administration intervenes. Students protest, professors write letters, donors start to squawk about not donating, etc.

The campus police squad fires these two assholes. But they say, “These guys were just bad apples.” Assuming no blame.

But the blame is squarely on the police force, and above them, the ASU administration for not policing the police to make sure it’s a solid organization.

And of course, there will be a civil suit that Professor Jaywalk may or may not win. I sure hope she does, for millions. She seems like the kind of person who might do some good with a big award and not just spend it on frivolous stuff.

I’m not saying it’s right, but that’s how these things GO.

4 Likes

why’s it always gotta be a biker? as a self identified motorcyclist, I wonder why the hollywood stereotypical image is ALWAYS dragged up to brand me. a guy getting great fuel economy, and reducing the commute nightmare by NOT being one more car stuck in front of you.

Why it’s always gotta be a biker?

3 Likes

Deport and and all racist cops to GITMO.

There they’ll get a “fair” trial.

All-campus email sent by ASU provost 1 h ago:

"I am sure that many, or most, of you are aware of the events that took place the evening of May 20, 2014 between one of our faculty, Professor Ersula Ore, and the University Police. I am also sure that those of you who observed the video and audio recordings of the incident were equally shocked and disappointed that this took place in our community. We ended up with an outcome no one wanted and should never have happened.

Professor Ore is a valued faculty member at ASU. She is an outstanding teacher and mentor. The university remains supportive of her. The entire matter is being reviewed and a further statement from ASU is forthcoming. In the meantime, I want to assure everyone that the behavior displayed in this incident does not reflect in any way the values and principles by which ASU operates. We are privileged to be part of an academic community where diversity, inclusion, tolerance, and respect are central to all we are and do. This is special. We all contribute to this set of values. I very much appreciate all that you do and, like you, hope for a positive resolution to this matter.

Rob Page
University Provost"

4 Likes

I can explain.

See, it’s really, really hot here.

A pubic safety hazard sure sounds like a health hazard to me.

Best take on this yet.

1 Like

This is heartbreaking to listen to and witness. I don’t care what your job is - if a person tells you “get off of me” you get off! Plain and simple. That officer could have easily held her arms behind her back without being on her in a way she found objectionable. Frankly, I don’t think that he had a reason to restrain her to begin with, but if he honestly felt he had to he could have handled this so much better. It’s obvious she felt harassed and didn’t like the way he approached her because likely he was singling her out. She didn’t fight back until they were aggressive and violent with her. The most sickening part of it all is that her cries are akin to rape victims who demand someone gets off of them and respects their personal space and they are never listened to. This blatant disregard for others, putting people in a position where they are intruded upon, has got to stop. That officer crossed boundaries and of course he probably won’t see any backlash for it. The fact that people are given this kind of power and abuse it is why people don’t trust the police anymore. My support is fully with her. I’m also kind of sickened that NOBODY stepped forward to help her, including the additional officer who seemed to only want to play good cop/bad cop with her.

1 Like

People do realize that other police showed up on the scene because 9-1-1 was called on the officer, right?

In the 9-1-1 call, a person viewing it said this, “Hey, I’m on College and 5th Street and there’s a police officer who’s getting way to aggressive with a young lady on the street.”

She kicked the officer after being thrown to the ground, and that’s where the assault charge against her came from. Considering the force being used against her (enough for witnesses unrelated to the event to call for backup for her) a mule kick seems minor. (I do realize that anything will be considered “assault”.)

I also took a look at the map, and she was right on the the edge of college property, possibly not on city property when this all happened. The call says she’s at 5th and College in Tempe - it’s easy to find if you look up “ASU,Tempe, AZ” on Google maps. You can see the construction by looking up “where is construction at ASU Tempe”. Click “RSP Architects” for a street view, and you’ll see that she may have been on a street with a closed sidewalk.

She was also a block away from the jail.

1 Like

Yes, the whole side of the street is/was blocked off.

And looking 180° the other direction:

Look again at the original screenshot:

In the icop vid, there is a new building on the right, and it even looks like the whole street is dead-ended at a barricade, for further construction. So it is not currently a dangerous, high-traffic street, especially at their location.

Also, she’s wearing heels, right? Rather than risk twisting your ankle on sidewalk debris (if the sidewalk is even open) or roadside debris by the parked cars, it makes sense in a low-traffic area to walk in the street or just diagonally cut across the street to the safer side if rounding a corner. Plus, there probably weren’t any cars and I didn’t see any cars driving around while the policeman was harassing her. [Correction: a few cars leaving a driveway, but nobody coming at high speed down the road due to the far end barricade.]

It’s a totally contrived situation on the officer’s part. He is enforcing a rule for no other reason than the fact that he’s a police officer and she’s some black woman not doing what he wants her to do. He probably at first thought she was a student, and then when he realizes he’s stepped in doodoo, he presses further into deeper and deeper doodoo.

I have kids. I know about this. The kid knows he’s doing something wrong, and as he presses on, he looks me square in the eye the entire time to see my reaction, knowing full well that I will react and that he’s doing the exact wrong thing. That’s this officer. Head down, imperious.

We need people like that. They are called grunts and they belong in janitorial, construction or farm work situations. Or in license plate factories in prisons.

Police officers, on the other hand, require minds and hearts to judge a situation on its merits and act appropriately in proportion to what’s actually happening in reality not inside their pea-brained heads.

5 Likes

Pop over to https://www.facebook.com/policeone, read their comments on the case, and you see it’s obvious that she was just asking for it. /sarcasm.

2 Likes

A campus cop put the beat down on a faculty member? I bet that comes up at the next faculty meeting. Seriously though, that could result in his getting canned.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.