Bored white lady from California becomes first bored white lady Masai warrior

And you almost did :wink:

Also, ditto!:stuck_out_tongue:

Do you like Jimmy Carr?

I bet you already know who he is, but he’s a British comedian who appears on QI quite frequently. He’s brilliant and says some of the most awful, horrible things. If you don’t believe me. . .

Notice anything different about him? Not ‘what he says’ but ‘what emotions he puts into his subject matter’.

He can make you cringe, but he’s not hateful, he’s not angry, and he’s got perspective.

It’s kind of the opposite of what we see here, right? But moving on (keep those thoughts tabled though!)

I agree actually. It’s not like I don’t ever fall into the same trap, I’ve just been looking at myself a lot more closely than I used to, and sometimes what I see is a bit less awesome than I had hoped.

I think there are three specific problems here.

1. We’re raised to think it’s socially acceptable to say mean-spirited things about a specific human we don’t know,
  2. We’re raised to believe that the moment somebody ‘gets attention’ they never deserve to escape it, and
  3. We’ve got our media outlets serving us bite-sized-bits of horrible from 7 BILLION people.

I think that interplay is important. 3) destroys our perspective, 2) destroys other people, and 1) destroys US.

Now, that isn’t to say that we don’t need to try to get in front of actual people who are in the PROCESS of doing awful things to other people. . . politicians who are pushing for war and zealots who are pushing hate and all of that. That’s something else entirely. There is room to be angry and frustrated there. That’s completely fair in proportion to the damage they do, right?

Somehow that all got merged with ‘obsessing over the tongue of Hanna Montana’ and ‘ridiculing SPECIFIC strangers at Wal-mart’

I think we didn’t just find a slippery slope culturally, we completely steamrolled it, didn’t we?

Nothing’s going to work if we don’t try, right?

But we do have science, and evidence, and things like that. They can help us. :smile:

In cases like this, I think we DO need to pay attention to the impact of our actions. What if she was a fan of Boingboing? What would discovering this thread DO to her? Imagine one of your friends who occasionally gets a bit . . . weird. (you have one! I know you do!) You’d be kind of upset yourself you saw him/her getting shamed like this, when you knew he/she never meant harm, right? And people have killed themselves over less.

That’s why I posted here. Maybe somebody here will get it, but I posted for the benefit of her and those who love her . . . just in case.

Pfft! Like that ever works!

You know a bit about what I’m up to elsewhere, right? I’m ALL about using sugar and honey rather than salt and vinegar. I know for a fact we can create a better economic system PLAYING GAMES, and I’ll somehow find a way to make that happen.

But we DO need to draw some firm lines, and I think this is one of them. It’s a pretty easy to identify line, and it’s not like anybody loses if they try, right?

:slight_smile: It is!

And I pick my battles, this is one that impossible not to win. I don’t need everyone to agree, just to slowly collect those who are willing to think things through, right?

You know I has layers!

3 Likes