'Breaking Bad,' Season 5, Episode 12, 'Rabid Dog': review

I can’t help but think there is more significance to Jesse’s “He’s the devil” speech. He says to Hank and Gomez that with Walt when you think something will play out one way the exact opposite will happen. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but perhaps that statement was foreshadowing that Walt has not decided to kill Jesse, but has something else in mind. Heck, it might even be suggesting that our assumption that Walt will die in the finale is off-base. That latter is hard for me to believe but you never know.

(Edited comment): You’re correct. 4th episode of the resumed 5th season. This whole split season thing has me so confused.

“Gomey being present to hear Jesse’s recorded statement requires a bit more explanation, since now he’s drawn into the web without so much as a warning from Hank about what’s going on.”

I agree that I wanted some more explanation as to how Gomey got brought into this scenario. That said, I very much doubt Gomey had no warning from Hank about why he was coming over to his house to see Jesse Pinkman, or else we would have seen a lot more shock from him in that scene. I’m just curious if the writers will take us back to it. It must have been an interesting conversation between Gomey and Hank at the very least, and seems like there could be some risky implications to doing things “off the books”. Did Hank tell him about Walt’s false confession video?

Well I’ve no idea where any of this is going, or what Jesse’s plan might be, so I won’t speculate.

But I thought the most interesting development in the episode was Skyler finally going full-psycho and more-or-less ordering a hit on Jesse. That set me wondering - just how does Skyler get started on that slippery slope? Am I right in thinking that her first brush with illegality was voluntarily offering to help Ted cook his books, and was that before or after she found out about Walt’s business? There’s an implication there that she’s not just a complete innocent being sucked into Walt’s evil machinations.

1 Like

Skyler doesn’t know the depth of Jesse’s involvement. So she expects Walt to just take care of it and is puzzled when he is offended and refuses.

Remember, Jesse has been the source of some of the best ideas. He comes through in a pinch with an inspiration. He had one when he was standing in the plaza wondering about Walt. He realized Walt’s weakness and acted on it immediately.

But what he may have figured out was how to get rid of Hank and Gomez and get away with the money.

3 Likes

The money he was recently throwing away?

He’s got a temper. All I meant was that our expectations are not likely to be met. If we have learned anything it is that the writers can surprise us.

It’s looking to me like Jesse is going to be the winner in the end. No one expects him to be smart.

Yeah, I put him down for killing Walt on Betting Bad.

This is a bit of a stretch, but what if Jesse starts cooking again? Walt always cared about being the best - and seemed to be fine about leaving behind the business once he had made his mark and made enough money. But if someone else gets back into the business with near-Heisenberg level quality, Walt’s ego wouldn’t let him stay out of it. Again, a stretch, especially now that Jessie has semi-teamed up with Hank, but would be interesting.

I was going to suggest that the hit is for Hank, as he’s corrupting Jesse; however I don’t think he knows about Hanks involvement with Jesse yet, so that kinda throws it out of the window.

You’re not halloween_jack off BP/PB are you? In which case, hello (Pupps).

It is all about matter/anti-matter. Jesse will set them against each other and watch the destruction from the sidelines.

I just wanted to note that Saul’s henchman’s line to Walt “…for three hours straight they talked about something called ‘Babylon 5’.” is one of these great little nudges at the fourth wall, like the “7 Years in Tibet” marquee in Fight Club. I love stuff like this.
(Cranston played a Ranger in an episode of B5)

3 Likes

Awkward Guacamole: my next band name.

Exactly. When I read “Gale had to die because Walt was petty about his working conditions” - it became clear that it’s been a while since our friendly reviewer saw those episodes. Gale had to die because he was the only one who could cook as well as Walt, and thus, him dying meant that Gus could no longer afford to kill him.

Except why did Gus want to kill Walt?

Maybe because he was petty about his working conditions?

Somehow, as the series unfolded the first time, the Walt/Brock/ricin thing escaped me. Can someone briefly lay out what would have caused Walt to go after the baby, how he did it, and what season this all took place in (so I can go back and watch it again)? It would certainly be much appreciated.

I think that is close, but what if Jesse just claims to be Heisenberg? Where Walt lives is in his ego. He could not stand for Hank to think Gale was Heisenberg, he won’t stand for Jesse taking credit either.

1 Like

Season 4. Walt poisons Brock (about 6 years old) because he is afraid Gus and Mike are turning Jesse against him. He uses it as a way to get Jesse back on board the plan to eliminate Gus.

Two things: 1) I’m afraid Gomez’s appearance and subsequent fate may be analogous to that of a red shirted Enterprise crew member in a landing party.
2) The reaction of Walt’s former neighbor Carol when he appeared in the flash forward in episode 509 was that of a woman seeing a ghost. Combining that with Marie’s suggestion that Walt just die already leads me to believe that Walt faking his death will be too juicy a plot development to resist. But why does he come back (with a BFG, no less?)

1 Like