'Breaking Bad,' Season 5, Episode 13, 'To'hajiilee': review

It has to be Walt, Jesse and Hank left next week. The whole show has been setting up this confrontation.

That was really bugging me about the firefight, so I think some variation on your analysis is likely correct. But of course, they always manage to twist it in a startling way. (Thatā€™s why we pay them the big bucks.)

Only about 30 shots were fired, the shootout lasted less than a minute and they were using technology that is nothing compared to what we have today. Visibility was also reduced significantly from the smoke caused by the black powder used. They also, I believe, primarily (exclusively?) used side arms and not long guns.

Considering the number of people involved and the firearms used in this episode, there is simply no reason why Hank and Gomez would not have been dead after the first few rounds. Someone who has already got you in his sites with a long gun is going to kill you if he has any skill at all.

Thatā€™s not logically sound. A ā€œwell aimedā€ shot always hits, by definition.

I donā€™t believe they were using machine guns. Some may have been, but the primary weapons shown were not, iirc.

1 Like

As far as credibility for me the scene was early in the series when they broke into a warehouse stole a barrel of some chemical-- and carried it, instead of rolling. (Something that Hank pointed out in the security video). But thereā€™s no way that two guys could carry a 45 gallon drum, it would be insane. Love the series, but there is always the constant foreboding dread. As soon as Hank called Marie and told her he loved herā€¦ I knew that something was coming.

Watch the show again my friendā€¦ Iā€™ve watched it twice through in order so if anyone should know itā€™s me. Walt sits Todd down before the heist and says very clearly something to the extent of ā€œno one can know about this - do you understand?ā€.

Todd was fulfilling that order, as given by his boss Walt.

They document the guns used in the fight in the BTS video linked at the bottom of the article which, by the way, is geo-blocked. Hey, AMC: FUCK YOU, Iā€™M NEVER GOING TO BUY YOUR SHIT NOW.

I DLed all 5 seasonsā€¦ intended on buying it all when itā€™s a reasonable price, but now Iā€™ve seen two promo videos geo-blocked by AMC and you know what that tells me AMC? Iā€™m gonna download your TV shows with gay abandon because you clearly donā€™t give a fuck about audience beyond America. You know what the other thing is AMC? Proxiesā€¦ why do you even bother geo-blocking stuff?

1 Like

So it turns out that Iā€™m totally ahead of the curve when it comes to ring tones.

I was rocking an old-school bell ring (UK/Oz style with the double ring at that; tougher to acquire) like five years ago when everybody was still using random songsā€¦ three years later it seemed like 30% of folks had followed suit, so I switched to an 80s-style electronic ring, and now folks are jumping on that bandwagon too.

So Iā€™ve been thinking itā€™s time to switch it up again and go back to music - but this time it has to be more meta than just something you dig, I figure. Iā€™m tipping the trend will be to reference the coolest thing you can fork out, not that some peeps werenā€™t doing that the first time aroundā€¦ but Iā€™m predicting the masses will try to get a bit clever with it.

In a few years you might be able to get a degree in this crapā€¦

Of course, Toddā€™s ringtone is super cool and it totally cuts the mustard as my new ring tone. Not so sure about the snatch Iā€™ve chosen for a notify sound, but it was the only bit of the track with no beats (there were two beats at the end, which is why it sounds a little glitchy)ā€¦ Iā€™m thinking I might time-squash it and make it quieter.

Anyway, if you figure my new ring tone should also be your new ringtoneā€¦

Science.mp3 (32 beat loop)
Science notify.mp3

(click through to listen, right-click to save - doesnā€™t work in Chrome)

1 Like

The OK Corral was fought by sharp shooters ā€“ some of the best gunmen in the country at the time. And their six-shooters were plenty accurate. Of course they did kill their opponents. But in this BB gunfight we have a bunch of guys who arenā€™t necessarily great shots firing at each other from behind big metal barriers. Iā€™ve never been in a gunfight, and donā€™t plan to, so Iā€™m not really sure it was completely accurate, but I can certainly imagine it wasnā€™t far off.

And you can get pedantic about what a ā€œwell-aimedā€ shot is, but its very easy for a well-aimed shot to miss because of many factors, not least of which is that the target is in motion and that motion canā€™t be predicted. Factor in nerves, shaky trigger motion, changes in wind speed or direction, and the fact that these are not snipers with spotters and its pretty easy to see how ā€œwell-aimedā€ shots can miss.

Iā€™ve been paying attention to all the small nods, metaphors and such here and there this season and everything seems to be very revealing. The theory that Skylar White will die after someone observing (rather well) Waltā€™s ā€œpick up a dead victims traitsā€ trait. But it has been said that someone will die this season, and weā€™re all led to believe it will be someone important. I think though that Gomme will be the one killed. White supremacists? Gomme being mexican-looking and in a shootout with them? Hank already on the hinge of a break down because of Walt, that if his partner and friend died it will lead to all out war? If not, definitely a kidnapping.

Oh, and the whole reference this season to Walt becoming mucch darker and practically an egotistical maniac who thinks heā€™s an overlord? ā€œMr Whiteā€¦ Heā€™s the devil.ā€ Iā€™ve just put together the fact Walt called in bikers, almost like minions (Devil and his demons that he canā€™t control in myhtology) sounds very similar to this situation. Oh, and the fact that theyā€™re constantly referred to as white supremacists. White supremacists, reinforces the little nod that theyā€™re Waltā€™s beaches, in a way.

Just my thoughts!

1 Like

Iā€™m no ballistics whiz, but Iā€™d wager youā€™d need to be talking a pretty darn stiff breeze to matter at that distance.

You must have blinked, but there was a very quick scene of Gomey walking back towards hank and putting the revolver into his pocket (iirc it was just after Hank had cuffed Walt).

Dammit, Iā€™m sick of seeing that.

Dat name.

Those dudes rely on overwhelming fire power. They may, in fact, be lousy shots. The head Nazi is the most professional criminal we have seen, though. He should possess some skills and can make and execute a plan with dispassion.

Thatā€™s what we have at the end of the scene, but not the beginning. In real life, Hank and Gomez would have never made it to their respective vehicles. Additionally, ā€œmetal barriersā€ sounds nice and all, but the engine block and wheel wells are the only part of a car that will actually protect you from bullets. Most of the Nazis, at the very least, would have been rather exposed during the whole shootout.

The key issue, though, is that first part. Reviewing the behind the scenes clip, there are three long guns used by the Nazis (one being a shotgun). I assume, based on your comments, that you have no practical experience with firearms. I do. Accordingly, I can assure you that if three people have rifles and shotguns aimed at you from this distance, you are going to be hit within the first few rounds if they are even remotely competent. We donā€™t know who was aiming at who, but Hank or Gomez had to have had at least two long guns pointed in his direction, so the odds of both of them escaping injury would practically be zero.

Even the NYPD with pistols can do better than these guys did.

Also, one of the long guns was a shotgun. Itā€™s possible that the guy was firing rifled slugs, but if he was shooting buckshot or birdshot, then the idea that he would have missed his target becomes even more laughable.

This, too, might be applicable towards the end of the fight as Gomez and Hank are running around, but at the start of the fight, they are standing still and would never have even had the chance to move if this were the least bit realistic. Nerves, etc. may have an impact and I would be willing to accept that as an explanation for why someone might not do so hot with a pistol, but with a long gun, those issues would be negligible. Itā€™s also unlikely that you would be all that nervous in the real world if you are a killer and you outnumber your opponents 3:1, because you would know that they will be dead as soon as the fight begins. Also, if you review the scene, the men with the long guns are braced against the vehicles for stability which would eliminate a considerable amount of the impact of any nervousness they might have.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the crux of the issue is really the long guns. Even if you have never fired one before, I could train you for 30 minutes and you would be more than competent enough to kill Hank and/or Gomez in this scenario. Add two more people with that ability and you are basically guaranteed to kill at least on of them almost instantly. Add 3 more guys firing pistols in their general direction and the probability of both of them getting away is hysterically small.

Iā€™m thinking that Gomez, if not Hank, being taken hostage after being shot seems likely, if for no other reason than that a wounded hostage is a much more potent dramatic object than a slain partner. And the odds of a bunch of Nazis not eventually executing Gomez seem rather slim.

From my POV, the final shoot-out is very allegorical of the original intent and desires of the three main characters - Walt, Jess and Hank.

Walt is rendered powerless by handcuffs and being locked in the SUV but still wants control the situation, similar to how his cancer rendered him powerless, or at least weakened.

Jesse just wants to leave the situation and slip away unnoticed, similar to how he just wants to drop off the face of the earth after interacting with the evils of the drug game.

Hank wants to prove his machismo in a shoot-out, similar to his original attitude of bad ass police-man/alpha-male.

2 Likes

Well, right, thatā€™s why my theory is they werenā€™t even trying to hit Hank and Gomie, just cause them to expend all their ammo and then take 'em hostage for leverage.

Weā€™ll find out definitively in a few more days! Canā€™t waitā€¦

No, I saw the script . . . in a dream . . . and the next episode opens with Walt with hair and we never find out what happened.

1 Like

The only reason I think they might die (or die soon) is because I think Walt is in the witness protection program when he is buying his machine gun, etc.

So, Gomez and Hank die, Walt goes into witness protection after agreeing to testify against the nazis and perhaps Lydia, et al (as part of some sort of plea bargain), then Walt decides that his last bit of life will be used to to avenge Hank or his family or who knows whoā€¦

All of that, of course, is not mutually exclusive with your hostage scenario, but it is something that makes me question whether or not they will make it out alive.

One nagging thing that makes me think it may have just been a poorly scripted scene is not that the nazis did not kill Hank and Gomez, but that Hank and Gomez did not shoot anyone. Previously, Hank has demonstrated that he is a skilled shooter, and Gomez has a shotgun and should be somewhat competent with it. The nazis are all rather exposed (in spite of the car doors, etc.), so if they were intentionally trying to miss and take a hostage, I would expect Hank or Gomez to at least wound someone. Since neither side landed any rounds, I am a little skeptical about it being a hostage scenarioā€¦