Cancer and cannabis: How I learned to stop worrying and love medical marijuana

It’s awesome that cannabis has helped you so much. But it’s unfortunate that you seem to hold the view that recreational use of marijuana is some kind of moral issue.

A daily smoker and vaper, but one of the most active creative people I knew.
Because pot smokers can't be active or creative? I beg to differ. :smile:
I believed “medical” was a fig leaf to help black market capitalists sell more drugs to addicts.
Because all pot users are addicts?
The medical part of marijuana may still be a joke at the shady dispensaries that cater to stoners.
Because all pot users are "stoners"? Just like anyone who drinks is an alcoholic.

It’s wonderful that cannabis seems to have so much medical potential. But it’s silly that it’s illegal at all. If it were completely legal, the research could proceed unfettered and we “stoners” and “addicts” could use a substance that’s much more benign than many other currently legal substances without worrying about buying on the black market or having to get a prescription for something that shouldn’t require one. :smile:

6 Likes

Great Article Xeni!
Informative and you look graceful in all the pictures. I admire your strength on this mission.

1 Like

I saved your article to my Evernote as a future reference.

Thanks for writing it down. It’s important to have great 1st person accounts of these experiences.

Stay well.

-Steve(n)

1 Like

For what it’s worth, the marketing she’s talking about is pretty awful and forms a basis of what a lot of people believe about medical marijuana - I’m all for medical or legal marijuana but the way dispenseries are advertised is, in my mind, awfully done.

2 Likes

Totally agree. The medical marijuana industry is mostly a sham for people to get recreational pot on the grey market instead of the black market. And you can’t really blame customers. I’d much rather get pot from a dispensary than a drug dealer. You avoid the criminal element and you get a WAY better selection. :slight_smile:

But we could entirely avoid both the black market and the grey market by legalizing pot.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting. I had a coworker with a terrible form of lung and arm cancer. At the end of his life he was hooked to opioids, which he hated. Any time he would try to quit the withdrawal symptoms and pain were too bad and he stayed addicted, as his doctors had planned.

It was then that I hopped on the medical marijuana bandwagon. He could get it but wouldn’t because he didn’t want to break the law. How terrible. If he were stoned, at least he wouldn’t have died also an addict.

3 Likes

I’m all for the legalization of recreational marijuana. However, I would like to see medical dispensaries exist as stand alone entities separate from recreational stores. This for the reason that many strains that work for my health issues would not be popular with recreational users.

My fear is that if we don’t delineate between the two, market demands for recreational marjuana would lead growers to stop growing the strains that are helpful for people like me.

6 Likes

I love you.

2 Likes

It’s extraordinary how lucky I am. The day after I was diagnosed a friend of mine–one of only a handful of people I told at the time–offered to get me some marijuana, which is illegal in this state. I told her to wait and see if I needed it. And, as it turned out, I didn’t need it. The anti-nausea drugs included in my chemo cocktail worked extremely well–I had three five-minute bouts of nausea over three months of treatment. I only lost my appetite before I started chemo, when I was under stress and had just had two surgeries. Then the drugs kicked in and my appetite came back with a vengeance.

I was lucky. I didn’t need to risk breaking the law, or asking anyone else to break the law for me. But my case isn’t typical, and it’s ridiculous that it’s hard, if not impossible, for so many people to get something that can help them so much.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.