Cancer patient famous for YouTube makeup tutorials dies at 13

Talia Joy Castellano, a 13 year old cancer patient who became internet-famous for YouTube makeup tutorial videos that captured a radiant enthusiasm for sharing, died Tuesday. A statement from her representative says she died “peacefully with her family by her side.” She was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma at age of 7 in 2007, underwent treatment, and… READ THE REST

1 Like

Deepest condolences to her family. I can’t even imagine what it would feel like to lose a child now that I have children of my own. It is literally the worst thing I can think of.

Fuck you, cancer.

2 Likes

I really wish I’d met her.

3 Likes

this story broke my heart.

Came here to say “fuck you, cancer.” Instead, I second your comment. Hopefully that drug that affects the cancer cells designator that tells your immune system not to attack them will be effective in clinical trials in be out soon. I hope it’s one of those drugs so effective that it gets fast tracked.

How absolutely, profoundly sad is this news. The stories and pictures on Talia’s Facebook page are too much to bear. My heart goes out to her parents and extended family and friends. How cruel is fate. How horrible is this disease.

Damn I think I got something in my eye.

I’m conflicted here. It’s very sad of course when someone that age dies, especially when over half her life has been spent ill.

But beauty tips? From a 13-year old?

Half of me thinks: Couldn’t she find something more constructive to do.

The other half thinks: Hey, the girl’s dying. Let her occupy herself with whatever interests her.

Discuss.

What’s to discuss? You need to check yourself. Second-guessing the life choices of a terminally-ill child, real classy there.

3 Likes

My 5 year old is currently undergoing treatment for rhabdomyosarcoma, so this one hit really close to home. We actually have a copy of Talia’s Cover Girl photo that we used to inspire and bring comfort to our daughter when she started losing her hair. Knowing she lost her battle is really upsetting.

Related side note, research for childhood cancers receive about 4% of federal funding (according to St. Baldricks). I’ve heard it as being as low as 1% of all funding raised nationwide (unsourced). While all cancer research needs and deserves funding, as a personal plea, consider donating towards childhood research specifically.

1 Like

Until you’ve experienced having no eyebrows, no eyelashes, and a sickly complexion…you really don’t understand what “beauty tips” means.

4 Likes

We’re not talking breast implants and collagen injections here. We’re talking about a terminally ill child who found some solace in finding ways to cope with how a devastating illness affected her appearance.

3 Likes

OK, you got me. I foolishly looked at the big false eyelashes and didn’t consider the effect of hair loss on an adolescent.

Thanks for adjusting my thinking.

Are you kidding me? Couldn’t she find something more constructive to do? WHILE SHE WAS DYING OF CANCER?!

Wow. Wow wow wow. Just wow. What is WRONG with you?!

Or that maybe, just maybe, it’s none of your business to begin with?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.