Channukah/Thanksgiving dessert: pumpkin pie filled sufganiot

Hey, it can’t be coincidence that basically every culture that HAS dough and oil has invented foods like this.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Channukah/Thanksgiving dessert: pumpkin pie filled sufganiot:

Indeed. Came here to say the same. I suppose the author has yet to have a positive Thanksgiving experience?

1 Like

I read this wrong at first but once I realized that @jlw meant “pumpkin sufganiot” I got my mouth watering. No chance for me to get kosher turkey here but I will most certainly fry up various things in oil in the coming week.

May all my Jewish brothers and sisters here at Boing Boing enjoy the miracle of lights!

1 Like

Ahem! You need to share that recipe,and be quick about it!

If you say so! (Apologies for the hugeness, we don’t seem to have collapsing spoiler tags.)

Herb and Onion Bread

½ cup milk
1 ½ tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt (or 2, see below)
1 tablespoon butter
½ small onion (or 1/8 large onion), minced
½ teaspoon dried dill weed
2 ¼ cups white flour
1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
1 package dry yeast (about 1 Tbs)
½ cup warm water

Scald the milk. Add sugar, salt, and butter to milk and let cool to lukewarm.

Mince onion. Crush dill and rosemary together. Measure flour and set aside.

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.

Add the cooled milk mixture, flour, onion and herbs to the yeast water and stir well with a large wooden spoon. When the batter is smooth, cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place until triple in bulk – about 45 minutes (a bit more if doubling recipe.)

When doubled, stir down and beat vigorously for a few minutes, then turn into a greased bread pan (8 X 3 ½ inches, the foil ones at the grocery store are a good size.) Let it stand in a warm place about 10 minutes before putting it into a preheated 350° oven. Bake about 1 hour. Remove from pan when done and put on a rack (or sideways across the pan) to cool.

A few notes:

The original had 1 teaspoon salt. I accidentally discovered that I like 2 or even 3; some folks find that a bit too much, but consider it if you like salt.

IMHO it’s too much effort for a single loaf, so I usually quadruple the recipe. (Which means 1/2 large onion instead of that awkward 1/8–my own calculation.) With that much, it may not rise quite as high while sitting. That’s fine. I’ve also use quick-rise yeast without any trouble.

Relatedly, I tend to use reusable bread pans instead of foil ones; the ones I have are around 8½ x 4½. With those slightly larger pans, I split a quadruple recipe between only three pans; this keeps each pan about the same depth as expected and prevents overcooking.

Generally, we eat this either fresh out the oven, or sliced and lightly toasted, either way with plenty of butter. My very favorite use of leftovers, though, is a “Thanksgiving sandwich”: turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, horseradish, and a dash of salt on onion bread.

If you try it, tell me what you think!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.