Watch: The Wizard world gets a Hanukkah lesson in 'Fantastic Holidays and How to Explain Them'

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/16/wizards-and-hannukah.html

2 Likes

Pretty genius. The creator’s YouTube is full of neat stuff:

3 Likes

Considering the last name of the female protagonist in FB I have been thinking a lot about the relationship between observant theists and magic.

Like does Elijah show up and drain his cup?

The miracle of the oil may be the reason this rabbinicaly declared holiday gets celebrated but I suspect that if most American Jews knew the story leading up to that part, they might not be so eager to celebrate it.

This puts me in a bit of a catch 22 because I’m glad for any Jew no matter how secularized to do the mitzvah of lighting the Hanukkah candles, at the same time I feel a sad sureness that if they understood the holiday better they probably wouldnt observe it.

Most of us are well aware of the story. You can celebrate a historical decision by your ancestors while recognizing that the world has changed in two millenia and a similar decision today would just be silly and backwards-looking.

3 Likes

Even discounting the civil war between the observant and secularized Jews which led up to the events at the Temple, there are those of us who do not in fact see restoring the Temple service as “silly and backwards looking” and in fact include it in our prayers 3 times a day and in grace after every meal.

1 Like

Perhaps I should have said “One can…” rather than “You can…”

Doesnt affect my objection.

My statement remains true. If you are having trouble parsing it, you might want to brush up on your Frege.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.