Check out the new Wonder Woman trailer

I think the studios pay for every DC character they reserve the films rights for. Presumably Warner Bros were waiting to see if Man of Steel augured a profitable enough shared universe. I personally wish there was a system in place for reserving non-exclusive rights (or maybe there is and it’s just not popular) so we could have, for example, a full range of X-Men in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and still get the pretty good new X-Man films, but I suppose this is one area where the fact that the studios are direct competitors works against it.

2 Likes

Sony is playing nice with Marvel over Spiderman; but then Sony has struggled to keep their Spiderman franchise going and are hoping that some Marvel magic will rub off on them. 20th Century Fox have done well with the X-men, but repeatedly fluffed Fantastic Four; so I guess that Mutants will remain a 20th Century Fox thing, while MCU gets behind the Inhumans instead. Maybe Fox will do a deal on the Fantastic Four?

1 Like

Nifty; despite not liking superhero movies in general (the Tim Burton Batman was the last one that didn’t suck, IMO), I’m actually interested in seeing this.

3 Likes

It looks like Steve Trevor disguised himself as a German pilot, because he’s totally wearing a Blue Max in the scene on the beach.

The person at around 0:54 looks to be wearing a galvanized copper mask to cover up disfiguring war wounds.

1 Like

Anyone else notice WW’s battle skirt keeps getting shorter? The first promo shots it sorta looked practical, but the closer we get to release she seems to be wearing more of a battle bikini. This is very disappointing to me. I am going to be even more disappointed if they emphasize the Trevor love story line over how kick ass she is.
Please, please, let this be an empowering movie and not just fan service.

12 Likes

The male gaze lives! And IT. MUST. EAT.

13 Likes

Well, for me, my main beef with it is the fact it features superman. Which i personally consider one of the most dull superhero character concepts ever designed :wink:
“lets just put every single superpower we can think of into a pot and make a character out of it”
“oh dear, we overdid it because he’s now invincible, can do anything and there’s no risk or danger whatsoever”
“Bugger… Quick, make up something he’s allergic to and chuck that in”

I’m amazed that I hadn’t noticed this before: Superman is an elf.

(Pratchett/Thomas the Rhymer elf, not Tolkein elf)

2 Likes

Awesome, that actually fits really well :slight_smile:

I’m reminded of another thread here on BB that seems to sum it up nicely: When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression. It seems like such a simply stupid explanation, but what it really comes down in every statement I’ve seen from manbabies is “There’s media being made that features characters that don’t look exactly like me.” (OK, to be fair, they do seem to allow for characters that are designed to appeal to them.) When you’re used to everything being about you, it’s hard to adjust to anything else. Most of us learn to get over that at an early age, of course.

7 Likes

Suddenly invent? Um. If by suddenly you mean 75 years ago …

I’ll agree, you obviously weren’t joking about not being into comic books as a kid. Nor as an adult, apparently! :wink:

3 Likes

The first Wonder Woman wore bloomers, so this is still pretty darn far from that. That said, when would a skirt ever be “practical” for Wonder Woman? Isn’t she supposed to be able to fly?

Off note: All morning I’ve had this earworm in my head that sings “Wonder Woman!” from… I don’t know what, was there a WW cartoon or live action show? If I don’t play the whole… song? episode? something, I’m going to go nuts.

1 Like

This one?

6 Likes

Omg thank you.

2 Likes

Since I forgot to mention it earlier, I’m cautiously optimistic about WW. They’ve made too many bad DC movies in my lifetime so cautious optimism is the best I can promise. :laughing:

4 Likes

You’re right. They forgot ‘ASS-KICKING’.

There aren’t nearly enough WWI movies so even though this a superhero flick set in WWI, I’ll take it. Big budgets, explosions. Whatever, I’m in.

And it’s also nice to see a WWI movie with older model airplanes, to wit: Fokker Eindeckers. Always with the Fokker Dr 1 triplanes, which were very, very late to the war.

Reminds me of my favorite WW2 joke:

Johnny’s 5th grade class is studying WW2, and he lets it be known that his grandfather was Czech exile who flew for the RAF in the Battle of Britain. So his 90 year old grandfather comes to class and tells stories and finally one kid asks for a story about the fighting itself. The grandfather gets quiet and through his thick accent tells his story, “children, I was just nineteen and scared. anyone who isn’t scared in a war is a liar. but i had to do my job. I was out over the east coast of england when I saw these two Fokkers down below the clouds. I snuck up on them and shot both of those Fokkers out the sky!”

The kids of course start giggling, and grandpa continues. “Just a week later, two of my friends had already been killed, including a boy I grew up with. And I was angry and when the next wave of German planes came over I shot down two more Fokkers! But not before another one came in behin—”

The kids are of course barely controlling their laughter.

—and this fokker shot me right in my rear end." At this point it’s pandemonium in the classroom.

“I managed to get out of the plane but I saw that Fokker…”

“Children! Mr. Dzubeck, shouldn’t you explain to the kids that a Fokker is a kind of German airplane—”

“oh, no, ma’am. These Fokkers were Messcherschmidts.”

20 Likes

Looks like a fun movie, but I would have loved to see Lucy Lawless in this role.

5 Likes

I’m not sure I follow… I was just suggesting tongue-in-cheek that “POWER.” or “WONDER.” Could be interpreted as valid one-word imperative sentences along the lines of “Smile.” or “Stop!”