Check out these great female literary heroes for readers young and old

[Permalink]

No Deryn/Dylan Sharp from the Leviathan trilogy?

2 Likes

Nation by Terry Pratchett can sit on both lists.

Great, now I’m sad again.

1 Like

Renie Sulaweyo from Tad Williams’ Otherland can go on both.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m currently in the second book of the Dark Materials trilogy with my 9 yo daughter, so we will take it from there.

My favorite YA book, and perhaps my favorite book of all time, has an awesome heroic heroine named Cassie. Unfortunately An Outbreak of Peace is currently out of print, but apparently the author is looking for a new publisher for it: http://sarahpirtle.com/books.htm#OutbreakPeace

China Mieville’s Un Lun Dun is a book (appropriate for ages that read the first couple Harry Potter books, and adults can enjoy it on about the same level and, in my case, slightly more) that features a fantastic alternate world that is parallel with London, a world in danger but with a prophecy and with a young British girl who’s the chosen one… but the REAL protagonist is the chosen one’s best friend, also a British girl, but of Indian descent (at least I assume so, they don’t make a huge deal out of it, but her name’s Deeba Resham) who has to step in when the prophecy starts going horribly horribly wrong. Fun book, great message, and diverse protagonist. If I had kids (of either gender) I’d be reading them this before Harry Potter.

For more adult SF books, reddits PrintSF community often has topics like this come up with a number of good options proposed… here’s one link I happened to have handy in my browser’s memory: http://www.reddit.com/r/printSF/comments/2bjjza/recommendations_for_books_with_good_female/

Some of my own recommendations:

Feed, by Mira Grant
Lady of Mazes, by Karl Schroeder
God’s War: The Bel Dam Apocrypha by Kameron Hurley

1 Like

Some more SF/Fantasy Recommendations:

Leviathan - Scott WesterFeld
Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett
Sabriel - Garth Nix
Thorn - Intisar Khanani
Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue - Hugh C. Howey
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

The Steerswoman - Rosemary Kirstein (Excellent hidden gem)
The Rook - Daniel O’Malley
Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson
Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.