Cover for new edition of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: "creepy, sexualized, inappropriate garbage”

Let’s not forget, Penguin Classics isn’t known for it’s good decisions as of late, e.g. Morrissey’s autobiography.

Well, I don’t imagine a cover featuring naked boys wrestling each other in the showers or indulging in a forbidden kiss would have done much for sales.

They didn’t include those bits in the movie either, for some reason.

1 Like

So is this cover going to increase the likelihood of anyone buying this edition? I could see the possibility of a perplexing cover choice if it had a chance of increasing sales. I really do not understand this choice at all.

(well there may be some collectors who think along the lines of “they are going to end up pulping most of this run… better buy a few and resell them years down the line.”)

Perhaps they’re going for the “we have to find some way to make this appealing to that strangely different audience of girls” marketing angle?

1 Like

O hell yea! That chick is hot! What’s the book about?

I think if it was him, it must have been one of his editorials for “Asimov’s”, one of the ones published in Gold.

Don’t have a copy to hand to check.

1 Like

Cover for new edition of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: “creepy, sexualized, inappropriate garbage”

I very disagree with that widely shouted opinion. Sure it’s creepy, but sexualised? I cannot see it. Innapropriate garbage! It’s a picture of a doll, and not even one of those robot sex dolls from the future. To me the image simply suggests that the young will imitate their parents, often picking their poor tastes or attitudes. It is remniscent of Veruca Salt but like all the Columbos are pointing out she was accompanied by her father. It doesn’t matter, it’s just a vague, slightly cryptic message that does reference a theme in the book. It make me think “yeah, there were five kids in there with different attitudes and it was clear that their upbringing shaped them into making their occasionally fatal moral choices.”
If you wanted to delve into it way deeper than the creator of the image had ever intended you to, you could suppose that it was Salt grown up (after not being incinerated) now with her own spoiled protege.

I am of the opinion that this book cover is not remotely offensive, the whole retaliation movement is a band-wagon. It’s sure is nice to talk about photography and literature, but “creepy, sexualized, inappropriate garbage” is a tabloidesque fox-news clickbait argument starting bloodboiler headline with no merit. I believe that description should be reserved for such offensive arse gravy as X Factor, Big Brother and Pop Idol.

1 Like

Repression and projection yield some remarkable assessments of the world around the repressed who project. I think it’s the basis of a lot of art, literature, and garbage.

1 Like

Some of Heinlein’s covers, Cat Who Walks Through Walls, Friday, make his protagonists Caucasian while the novels claim otherwise.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.